4 day old baby constipated please help!!

my baby hasnt pooped not once yesterday.i dont know if this is normal or what.she just keeps farting.i am breastfeeding her.im about 2 seconds from taking her to the hospital.she keeps trying to push and i feel so damn bad.please tell me if this is normal .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Perfectly normal!! I will post this and then give a longer response.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:07 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Babies digestive systems aren't always completely mature. Pooping is difficult for some babies as those muscles learn how to work! Your baby is actually not considered constipated unless hard tiny pellets come out in her diaper. While most breastfed babies go more regularly, it is also considered normal if they only poop once a week. My second born was like that. The down side of less dirty diapers is that you usually get a huge blow out when the do go!! Just enjoy the grimaces and funny faces as they try to poop! Unless they are screaming in pain, you really have nothing to worry about.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:10 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• she crys everytime she pushes to poop.you can tell its bothering her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Try mylicon! She could just be REALLY gassy. If she keeps this up I would pay attention to what you are eating. As difficult as it is to hear or cry, I would wait it out. If you want, you could call your doctor - doesn't he have someone on call over the weekend? My second born had a terrible time with gas. At 2 1/2 years old he still will wake up at night screaming. He will just cry until he passes a bunch of gas. Pump her legs like she is riding a bicycle. I hope she calms down for you. It is so hard when you can't help them. :-(
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:20 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• oh my, not pooping for a few days is normal for a breastfed baby ;)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Not pooping for one day is not constipation. Additionally, struggling and being uncomfortable is normal, because she is learning how to poop, and of course, it feels funny for her. She is very young though, and I might worry if she goes 3-4 days. Once EBF babies are a few weeks old they can go up to 10 days without poop. Constipation is passing dry, hard, pellet like stools.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:00 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• It's normal. She isn't uncomfortable she just is young and hasn't figured out how to poop very well yet... sometimes they get red in the face, grunt, cry but they are fine. Breastfed babies don't always poop everyday... they can actually go 2 weeks without pooping and it's fine and normal. With my son he would only poop once/week. Breastmilk is such a perfect food there isn't much waste to poop out.
    Give her time.... she will poop on her own time.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:23 AM on Sep. 6, 2009