Should I get a second opinion?

I found out at the beginning of the summer that I was anemic. Following some further testing the doctor found out that I have a cyst on my ovary (4cm) and a fibroid in my uterus (5cm). The doctor was leaning towards doing a D/C with an ablation, but in a months time, the cyst grew to 4.7 cm. My blood count has gone up but is still not totally were it should be. Now the doctor wants to do a complete hysterectomy, which I am ok with. I am 46 and have two wonderful daughters! I do not want anymore children. My husband thinks I need to get a second opinion. My co-workers say go for it! What do all of you think?

LovetoTeach247

Asked by LovetoTeach247 at 8:14 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Health

• do you trust this doctor? have you used him before? has he ever given you any reason not to? if he has or you haven't used him before, get a second oppinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I'd get a second opinion regardless of how happy I've been with the doctor in the past. A hysterectomy is serious surgery.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:25 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Yes. For something as major as a hysterectomy get a second opinion for sure.

Answer by Bmat at 8:27 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I say get a second opinion - cysts can come and go. And fibroid tumors come and go. My gynecologist wanted to do a complete hysterectomy on me in my early forties but I refused. I had a history of cysts plus endome. that advanced to destroying one of my ovaries and that ovary that had to be removed.

My gyn told me she thought I had to be on hormones but I was young too, 42 years old.

I didn't want that. I researched with the Gildna Radner Foundation - they were very very helpful. They were the ones who told me it sounded like I had endome. as my two masses on that ovary.

Also I found my gyn by researching gynecology oncologists - there's a specfic group that gyn cancer specific doctors can be a part of. I did not find any help from North American Menopause Society who refused to talk to me unless I first paid to be a member!!!!

I was running fevers with my periods when my ovary was dying and in pain just like labor.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Well, it never does hurt to get a second opinion....It sounds like your symptoms are causing you lots of discomfort and inconvenience. Have you checked into the down sides versus the up side of doing the hysterctomy? Would it require removal of the ovaries as well? What is the plan for afte the hysterectomy?
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:07 PM on Sep. 9, 2009