grinding his teeth

My 12 month old just recently went from having no teeth to 5 teeth, and when he got them i noticed he was grinding his teeth but i just figured he wasnt used to them... well a few weeks down the road and he is always grinding them! I dont want him to hurt his teeth but i dont know how to make his stop... any suggestions?

serenaxxmarie

Asked by serenaxxmarie at 9:01 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My boys both did that. It did eventually stop, but I don't remember how long it lasted. So sorry!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:06 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My daughter had this problem too. Don't worry too much. He's gonna lose those teeth anyway and in the meantime, offer him an alternative like a washcloth or teether.
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My son did this! I think they're getting used to something new and somewhat permanent in their little mouths. It would make me cringe! My son eventually stopped - and like yours, he cut his teeth pretty quickly - 8 teeth between 4 and 9 months.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 2:49 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• It's called "bruxism" and I read that it's normal and he'll outgrow it. If he chips any of his teeth it could be an issue but as long as he doesn't chip his teeth he'll be fine!

Try giving him alternative chew-things like another poster said. :)
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:45 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I know when my niece did this I popped her in the mouth, not hard mind you it was more like a hard tap to her mouth. She was around 8 months at that time, I would tell her to stop it a few time before I popped her to. I always told her why she was in trouble or being punished and made sure to give her extra loves after wards. At that point in time I was like mommy because my sister was more interested in going out and partying. She didn't even grind her teeth for a full week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Sep. 6, 2009