Why do you think it is taboo to discuss parenting skills and differences in our country, but nothing else seems off limits?

Parenting is such a hot button topic, why can't we just agree to allowing different styles of it? No one wants someone else to tell them how to do it, even when it is with good intentions. Why are we so hands-off with this issue?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Because it's not something about which you can be really knowledgeable. You can get a PhD in child development, it still doesn't let you look at any given child, spend 5 minutes with them, and know exactly how best to feed them, discipline them or teach them. Every person is unique. You can make absolutes about other topics - religion, it's all about faith, but you can pull out a book for whatever your faith is and say, this is the rule. Politics, we have laws to serve as guidelines. Parenting, there is no rule book. Anyone who claims to be an expert is someone trying to sell you a book full of half-truths that may or may not work for one of your kids.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:05 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I actually had someone on face book use the argument that the president NEEDED to talk to the children because some parents were stupid and still believed in death panels and such so the president needed to talk to them. omg PISSED me off! I told him I don't care if a parent believes and share with their child that a purple elephant is going to drop down from the sky and hand out gifts to those that pick their nose, as long as those children are healthy and not being beat on...that's their RIGHT. MY CHILDREN HANDS OFF! I may not agree with you r politics but they are your children and you get to raise them with YOUR beliefs and customs. I think we hit a slippery slope when we start justifying taking parents rights away. I think THAT is a subject that really should be made clear more often!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:33 AM on Sep. 6, 2009