Are you going to allow your children to form their own religous views or encourage them to follow yours?

I do not believe in any one relgion. i grew up having christaitny pushed on me and decidec ti was not right for me my family si not ahppy about that but its my choice.. i do beileve ina creator but i dont do organied relgion.. if i had to pick a relgion that was closest to my beilefs i would say paganism... but anyways my fiancess brother asked him to go to church with him so he went .. my 3 yr old son really really wanted to go to church with daddy.. i do not do the church thing but I have no probem with my son going ( i would also not have a probelm if later in life he wantedto go other muslims, buhdist or pagan things) i want my children to be open minded and from their own views and beilefs not mine... if my son decideds later in life that chrstiatiny is right for him that is fine.. same with any other religion or none all together... I was jsut wondering how others felt?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My parents raised us to find our own religion. I am Lutheran, I have siblings that are atheist, buddhist, and protestant. One sil comes from a Mormon Family.  I see nothing wrong with diversity. It sure makes family reunions interesting!!!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:30 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I dont believe in religion or god for that matter but if my daughter decides to be religious then I would support her 100%
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 9:38 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Why isn't this in the religion section?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I am still trying to find a religion that works for me, if I don't find one thats ok I'm not in a hurry. I will not push my beliefs on my children. I grew up with half of my family being catholic and the other half being atheist and I was able to choose what I wanted to believe in. I think the best way to handle it is to teach your children about all different types of beliefs and religion and let them pick when they are older.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 10:01 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Answered at 8:39 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Why isn't this in the religion section?
    ACK! I meant to put it there but i clicked the wrong one and i cant fix it now
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 10:04 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My husband believes in pushing religion on them and forces them against their will to attend church every week. The only thing I can do is speak to them about not believing everything they hear and to do some research when they are older and then make an educated decision on what to believe.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:11 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I am not a religion person. I was raised catholic, and it is NOT for me. My hubby does not go to church all the time but he believes in the bible so I have taught my kids about the Bible and we pray . I also signed my daughter up for Bible study last year and she'll do it again this year.

She is free to make her own decisions in life.....
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:16 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I'm one that will let my childrenchoose their own path. If they have questions, I will answer them honestly. If I don't know the answer, then we will seek it together and learn together.

One of my kids have already begun this process. We are not "religious" people. We believe in God, read a Bible, pray (but not for every little thing). We don't even go to church anymore.

But my children know where we as the parents, stand on our beliefs. And they know that we (their parents) will not forcefully mold them in to something that they are not.
    pr0udm0m_0f_3

Answer by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I think it's unrealistic to think that we don't "influence" our children in religion, politics, etc. My daughter is free to chose what she wants to be, yes, but I am sure my personal beliefs will be the basis for her early years. We attend church and she attends it with us, but we also expose her to other beliefs, such as Juddism, Buddhism, and even Paganism. We talk about what other faiths believe. I believe it's important she learn about other faiths, other cultures, etc. especially when she is old enough to understand and sort it all out for herself. But, in her early years, I have to say we are providing her with a base in the religion in which we most follow. I don't think it's a bad thing. My family was primarily Catholic, but my grandmother was Protestant, my father is atheist, and my brother is agnostic, so we have a mix within our family as well.
    Imogen13

Answer by Imogen13 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• We are not a religious family, but if my children want to go to church with friends or whatever I am good with that and when they goet older if they choose a religion and ordained church or whatever I am good with that too, its their choice!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 11:01 AM on Sep. 6, 2009