What books are they reading at Gitmo?

Journalist Besan Sheikh recently visited the Guantanamo Bay prison facility run by the US, where al-Qaeda and other prisoners from Bush's 'war on terror' are held. (Many of the prisoners appear to have been sold by the Taliban or swept up indiscriminately in the vicinity of a battlefield). Sheikh told the pan-Arab London daily, al-Hayat [Life], that the facility's library now has 13,500 books.

What are the three most requested titles by the remaining 229 prisoners?

1. The Harry Potter novels

2. Cervantes' Don Quixote

3. Barack obama's Dreams from my Father.

Do they think Guantanamo is a little like Hogwarts Academy and that their torturers were Lord Voldemort?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:22 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The Coran. Do not know how to spell it.

Answer by louise2 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Harry Potter? Really? I thought those fundamentalist religious zealots were against all things magic.

Obama's book?  That doesn't surprise me.  Isn't there a saying, something like 'know thy enemy'?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I was kind of shocked about Harry Potter too...WTF??? Really, Harry Potter!? LOL
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:37 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• They let them READ?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• im sure those books are there to make them forget about the Quran. it doesn't surprise me that muslims are reading harry potter.. they aren't immune to the ways of the people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• So they are still being 'tortured' then having to read Obozo book
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

not surprised. it's The Koran.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Holy hell. Who chooses Don Quixote outside of Book Club's Read the Classics movement?

I love the classics, but that is one that was absolutely the most wretched of slogs.

If they are reading that by choice, those of you concerned can be sure they are truly suffering.

LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 12:41 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• We are so mean providing them with books the horror. I bet they get three nutritious meals, TV, free healthcare and other things our poor do not have. We are a vile bunch torturing them like that. They may want to stay at Gitmo many of the prisons they will go to are not that nice and will expect them to put the book down and do hard physical labor or may not allow books at all. They should send them to Chino our citizens there have to make sure to not touch certain walls they might get electrocuted. Hard to feel sorry for these vile people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I think instead of a "Gitmo Closure Czar," Obama should appoint a "Gitmo Library Czar!" LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2009