Would you find this disrespectful?

I am really finding this disrespectful. I went to Temple on Friday night. A man came in carrying a "Jewish New Testament". He was a Messianic Jew. Now I have no issue with him coming to service, but why bring the NT when he knew this was not a Messianic synagogue? I just found it a little disrespectful of him to do that.

Petie

Asked by Petie at 10:35 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Are you sure he knew?? I am not Jewish, so I don't know anything really about it, but I did go to pentacostal churchs when I was little. They knew I wasn't. I always wore dresses, no make up, and such to church out of respect. I remember one time I forgot that I had painted my nails and it was too late to take it off. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, I simply forgot and I did feel embarrased. Perhaps he didn't think about bringing the NT into the Temple and by the time he did think about it, it was too late? Perhaps he tried to pretend not to notice his mistake out of embarrasment? I'm not saying this is what happened, but just a possiblity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Or maybe he is considering switching to orthodox (or whatever the opposite of messianic is) and thought he would check out your temple and the only book he had for worsip is the NT! He might be new in town and not realized it was a different type of temple. OR he maybe traveling through and felt the need to go to any temple since he couldnt find one of his own! just a thought
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 10:52 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• That would the equivalent of someone bringing a Koran into our church. I wouldn't really be upset by that, but I'm not easily offended.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 10:54 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Just to clarify, I'm not upset, it was more one of those "Huh, who would do that?" feelings. Just kind of wondering why someone would that.

Elaname, no, he wasn't considering converting. He is a Christian, and showed no interest in changing.

Anon :42, that could be a possibility, until he started talking to the Rabbi at which point it was made clear that this was not a Messianic synagogue. I hope that is more it, that he just didn't know.

Petie

Answer by Petie at 10:59 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Messianic Jews really do consider themselves to be Jewish. I understand why you were insulted.

There is some interesting commentary, and great links, on the website from the Union for Reform Judaism: http://urj.org/worship/wisdom/messianics/

Answer by rkoloms at 11:09 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• If he believes in Christ and has accepted Him as his Lord and Savior, then it is his job to spread what he has learned in order to save others. I'm sure he meant no disrespect. He was probably hoping to spread the word of Jesus' sacrifice and resurrection in an attempt to bring others to know Christ.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:40 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I just wanted to add, if he believes in the New Testament, then he believes this:

"But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."
    Matthew 10:33
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:42 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• If he is just carrying it on his person no. If he's using it to try to preach to others yes.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:50 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I agree with SalemWitchChild. I see no harm in just carrying it. I would see a problem if he were to try to start "converting" people with it. But I don't normally notice what book a person is holding. If someone came to Mass holding some other religious book I probably wouldn't even take notice unless they started preaching to everyone.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:59 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• maybe he didnt know any better.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2009