Why does my throat itch?

I can't seem to satisfy it all I can do is cough then I finally fall asleep and wake up with this thickness feeling in my throat.

Could it be boogers bc it seems when I blow my nose it uncloggs it somewhat...sorry tmi.

And I can't seem to hack one up either...sorry I know gross!

What can I do to clear this up?

It is sooo annoying, even when I am yelling at the kids it gets in my way I have to stop and clear my throat sometimes it doesn't clear right away then I forget what I was yelling at them about.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Health

• It is probably an allergy. Common food allergies are wheat and dairy.

You can try an elimination diet; keep a food diary; or just eliminate the most likely culprits.

A syrup made with equal parts of honey and cayenne will help.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:23 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• what a good idea an elimination diet!! could also be post nasal drip. I have that and lying down really makes it hard to clear my throat. You might have too dry air too in your home. Maybe look into that too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My guess would be environmental allergy- pollen, mold, dust, grass.

What I do is use a Neti-Pot. You can buy them in the grocery store or pharmacy. They come with packets of mix or you can make your old mild salt solution. You tilt your head over the sink and pour the solution into one nostril and let it pour out of the other, then switch. Or you can also sniff up warm salt solution (non-iodized) (about a half teaspoon of salt per cup of water) and spit it out. Both of these clean out the allergens, the stuff that cause allergies, from your nasal passages. I have much less trouble since I've been doing this once a day. I do it at night before I go to bed to clean out the stuff so that it doesn't sit there overnight.

Answer by Bmat at 11:33 AM on Sep. 6, 2009

• it's probably allergies, ask your doc to blood test you to see what you're allergic to.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 6, 2009