How do i get my 5 month old to sleep all nite.

he wakes up at least two times a nite just for me to pick him up only to rock him back to sleep. he doesn't nurse when he wakes, he just wants to be held and rocked back to sleep.

bluetopia6

Asked by bluetopia6 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ferberize him...Let him cry it out as long as he's not hungry or dirty/wet! It worked with my youngest! My oldest I didn't know about the method and I rocked him back to sleep until he was 2!! Take it from me it's easier to suffer a few nights of screaming than a couple of years!!
    love_my_boys

Answer by love_my_boys at 4:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I know this is controversial, but let him cry it out. It will only take a few nights at the most and you'll all sleep much better. You don't have to leave him completely alone screaming his head off, just go in there and talk to him quietly, soothe him without picking him up, leave the room for 15 minutes, then if he's still crying go back in and do the same thing. Leave again for a longer period of time, 20 minutes and repeat, and he'll get the message.
    Anonymous

• IMO, he's still a bit little for crying it out... I'm all for it, but not yet. Maybe you could try not picking him up... just stand/sit there and rub his back until he goes to sleep. And maybe sing to him softly. I could never remember any lullabies, so I'd sing the ABC's to my son. He will start to sleep more and more pretty soon. If nothing works, try to enjoy the cuddle time.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I read the baby wise book while I was pregnant and followed it while I was on maternity leave - my daughter was sleeping through the night at 6 weeks!! It's a great book and I would recommend it to anyone!! THere is even a toddler version.
    ZetaMommy

Answer by ZetaMommy at 7:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• i too would prob CIO sometimes its the only way
    katiesmom123

Answer by katiesmom123 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Ferber CIO method sounds like the best thing. He may just be stirring or just cry for 2 or 3 min most and you may interrupt him. By 4 mo of age, babies can self-soothe. The Ferber method works very well and it is the easiest on Mommy :D All you do is wait 5 min and if baby is still crying, check on them. Don't pick them up though. Just whisper you love them, go back to sleep, sweet dreams, etc. to let them know you are still there and comforting them. Then leave the room, try not to spend more than 30 sec. consoling them. Then wait 10 min, if your LO is still crying, check on them again, in the same fashion as before. Each time add 5 min to waiting time. The first night I did it, it took up to the 25 min waiting and then he fell asleep. The next night it was the 10 min waiting and the third night just 5 min. And after that, NO PROBLEM :D
    schmoo_mommy

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 9:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I had the same problem but I just couldn't let my DD cry it out... I think its cruel but thats just me. So instead I would wait longer periods of time before I would pick her up. Plus I would stick her back in her crib awake so she would have to learn to put herself to sleep. Now she sleeps all night, or so I think because she doesn't wake me until morning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I would start putting a cd on for him ( I went on limewire and downloaded some free kid songs) at night to sooth him when he wakes.(Just remember to put it on repeat.) I have done it with both of my girls 1 & 2 and they always were able to go back to sleep by themselves. I agree that you should probably let him cry it out, and after a few nights, he should be fine.
    lynenedubbels

Answer by lynenedubbels at 7:07 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Please read this web site before trying anything from "Dr" Ezzo and the Babywise books
    http://www.ezzo.info/

the no cry sleep solution worked wonders for us
    http://www.pantley.com/index.html
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 3:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2008