How old were you and how old was your daughter when you/she started your/her period?

I have a daughter that will turn 9 years old this December. Her cousin started her period and she is only a month older than her! I know every girl is different but am wondering if a lot of girls are starting earlier than we did. (I was 10 1/2 yrs old)

AZmama3

Asked by AZmama3 at 12:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I keep hearing that girls are starting at an earlier age.  Parent's should be ready and have the puberty conversation because sometimes it begins sooner than expected.  Here are some great books and an article about talking to your child about puberty http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html  (look at the 2 links under puberty)

Books are a great way to help kids understand.  They can also refer to the book for any questions they may be to embarassed to ask. 

momjs

Answer by momjs at 2:13 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• wow that's early! I was 12, almost 13 when I started mine. my dd is only 3...so it will be a while before I have to worry about that lol. but I hope she doesn't start it too early
    sarahbell811

Answer by sarahbell811 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I was 12, about a month before age 13 when I started. Oldest DD started at almost exactly the same age. In fact, we lived in a small house with only one bathroom & I was in the shower when she came in saying she had to pee. All of a sudden, I heard her squeal & I asked her what happened. She said, "Mom, I'm a girl, what do you think happened???"

SD is now 6 & DD is 5 & I am hoping they don't start until they are 12 or so. It is just so hard for a 9 year old (my cousin started at 9).
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:45 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I am 25 now. I started when I was 13 and a half. I never knew when any girls around me started. It wasn't talked about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I started right after my 9th birthday. It sucked.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• The only positive thing about starting at 9 was by the time my friends started getting theirs my period was completely regular and I was able to talk them through it. Just sucked being the only 4th grader getting my period. Talk about embarrassing.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2009