How was your transition from formula to milk?

What tips do you have for me for switching my daughter over? When did you start? My daughter is almost 11 months old. She takes a sippy sometimes but not very well. Thank you!

Dricha3140

Asked by Dricha3140 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is very laid back and loves food. Around 11 months she was off the bottle (we did one bottle a day for a few days and replaced with a sippy. She took less milk overall, but didn't well and didn't fight). So at 11 months we stopped buying formula and when we ran out, we went straight to milk. No complaints from the rugrat and no weaning. But not all kids are this laid back about it. I suggest trying to go straight to milk, but keep a can of formula around. If your child puts up a fight, then try mixing the formula and milk and weaning to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I switched my dd to milk around 11 months to. The first few days were a bit rough (not because of the milk, just because its a new cup) but then she got the hang of having a cup when she realized the bottle wasnt coming. She gets her bottle at night still though. Try getting a few different cups. We started out with the ones that had the sof nipple spot, and once she got the hang of that we switched to the regular hard spouted ones. I think that helps with the transition! Hope this helps!
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My DD was not having it. I switched at 11mths just like you guys and my baby refused to drink milk all together. I had to give her cereals in order for her to get some in her system. Finally her dr said give her plenty of orange juice and she also loves V8 juice so shes making up for the milk. Anyway keep working with the sippy cup I had to try different ones for my daughter. She ended up liking only the cups with straws. Good Luck
    Se-Se

Answer by Se-Se at 2:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Star by adding a little regular milk to the normal formula into the bottle or cup, then gradually over time elliminate the formula, by adding more regular milk and less formula until it is all regular milk.
    You can also try this trick when your baby gets to big to be drinking milk at night. You illiminate milk by gradualy over time adding water to the milk.

Incourage he to use the sippy cup during feedings such as breakfast. Add some juice to the cup instead of milk may convince her to use the cup more, if it's something she really loves in the cup.
    smadar

Answer by smadar at 3:44 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I waited until my son was a year old but I was worried about giving him cows milke because in the past he had been lactose intolerant so I wasn't sure if he had grown out of it. I slowly took away one bottle at a time and replaced it with a glass of milk. So by the time we were almost done he was drinking a bottle of formula int he morning and two sippy cups with milk in the day then I just stopped giving him that bottle and gave him the sippy cup with milk instead and he didn't put up a fight at all. The first day we gave him milk he of course through the cup down and wouldn't drink it but that's because it isn't sweet like formula so just keep giving it to your little darling and eventually after they realize they aren't getting anymore formula they'll start drinking it. I promise one or two days without milk is okay just make sure that you don't give juice in place of the milk always make it water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I put milk in the cup and made the switch.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2009