Has anyone ever gotten a pet to fill a void in their life?

If so what kind of pet? And did it work?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 12:38 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Pets

• I got one of my hedgehogs following a chemical pregnancy (it was an unplanned pregnancy, we were young and not in a position to try again at that point in time.) I felt like I needed something to 'mother' and take care of. Obviously it was not the same as having a child, but it did give me someone to nurture and love and it took some of the sting away. She was one of my favourite pets ever- very good therapy for me at that time and I loved her to pieces.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:52 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Yep. We got a puppy when we were struggling with infertility. And I always have at least two cats because they are my daily therapy. And yes, it works! It's proven that people with pets have lower blood pressure and are happier people. They have a calming effect.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 1:23 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I have three cats and a dog, and I did get my dog for a reason, but not to fill a void. I got him because my husband was in the military and I was constantly left alone with nobody to protect me. Yes, I am capable of protecting myself if the need arises, but a dog is a great deterrent!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 12:02 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I did before i got pregnant the first time. I miscarried and it did help me grieve because i still had something to "mother." Of course it wasn't the same thing as a baby-but it did really help. I got a dachshund. DH and i got pregnant a few months later. Now my DS and Dog are best friends, and are inseparable.
    WendyJR

Answer by WendyJR at 8:42 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• They actually suggest that older people who lose a spouse get a pet, they live longer that way. The average lifespan of a senior who loses their spouse is 5 yrs. Often, if they have a pet they stay alive to take care of that pet.

It does work. When I married dh and we were having trouble with getting pregnant, and of course he was gone alot, we got a dog. It kept me from being so lonely and helped me get through his deployment.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I got a cat, 2 actually. And yes, it did work. I still have 1 of the cats, and he continues to be my best friend.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 7:45 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Yes, I have a rottweiler----read his story please!!

http://gomestic.com/pets/bloat-in-dogs/

romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 12:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Yes I have many pets (fish, reptiles, dogs, cats) that help keep me going. My pets are like kids to me, I love them very much. We have had trouble getting pregnant and it helps to have my "babies" that depend on me for their well being. I know I would not deal with situations as well if I didnt have my critters. Gus my English Bulldog is by far the best thing for my down days. He is my personal sunshine.
    AngelyaKellum

Answer by AngelyaKellum at 9:35 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• When I was younger I always had cats. I am an only child and yes cats helped. They were always there and are so soft and cuddly when they crawl into your lab. I miss that. DH will not allow a cat in the house, we do have a dog though.

RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• not specfically to fill a void in my life - I've had them because I want the responsibilitly of their lives and then companionship.

If you're lonely I suggest volunteer work - hospitals need volunteer at all hours - in the or waiting room, in the e r also 4H uses volunteers to help with groups and run groups. Maybe start a group here on CM for lonely - i'll be the first to sign for that. I keep busy doing activites with my kids and church.

My animals that I had before I was alone keep me company but there like having little kids all over again. Be prepared to become a mom again if you get a pet, fish and repitiles are just about the only animals that don't get lonely and survive really well without attention day and night.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Sep. 6, 2009