Delayed reaction?

Is it possible to have a delayed reaction to a food? My DD had bread with peanuts in it yesterday and today she has some kind of a hivey rash.

emilysmom401

Asked by emilysmom401 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not sure, but I think it's possible. Call you doctor!
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 1:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Yes Its possible, an allergic reaction isnt always immeadiate. You can give her some benedryl but I wouldnt let her have peanut anything again, it might get worse in the lines of a reaction and I promise anaphylactic shock is scarey (Im severley allergic to bees, have had several epi shots) I assume this is the first time she has ever had peanut butter or anything with peanut in it?
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:23 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Yes this is the first time! Its scary to think the next time could be worse!
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Yes ma'am. A baby/toddler I used to babysit was allergic to breakfast sausage. of course we found this out the hard way. I took him out to breakfast with me and my son to Bob Evans and he ate sausage gravy with biscuits. Later that night he had a mild rash. The next day he was broke out from head to toe. I was devastated. The tots mom kept telling me it wasn't my fault, but I STILL feel bad to this day. BTW, the baby is 8 years old now....
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 5:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2009