Teething! Help!

DD is teething! Last night she was crying for an hour straight, and not just crying, SCREAMING! We tried the Little Teethers stuff, we tried baby Tylenol, we tried a frozen teething ring (she hated it), DH suggested rubbing some whiskey on her gums...he was kidding, of course. What else can we do???

SarahLeeMorgan

Asked by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:03 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Whatever you do - don't give anything frozen hard...it'll make it worse! If it is frozen solid, it can cut the gums further. How old is baby? If you've started solids, try putting some cutup apple in the freezer. Load a mesh feeder and let it defrost slightly (to where is is slushie) and give it to baby. It tastes good so they'll work on it longer and the cold will reduce swelling and the chewing will help the tooth cut through quicker. If baby is over 6 mo., try Motrin instead of tylenol...it is an anti inflammatory and I swear it helps reduce swelling it lets the tooth cut through quicker. Gripe Water helps some babies. Teething tablets helps some babies. A good finger to chew on helps others. Its all trial and error. The first couple of teeth are the worst...until molars come along. =) Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:22 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• It won't help you right now... but for all future teeth, get a Baltic Amber Teething Necklace.... they are WONDERFUL! We have 3 for my son. His first 4 teeth we didn't own one and it was awful! He was so fussy and we "drugged" him with so much Tyelnol, mortin and teething tablets it was sad... and he was still not happy. We heard about these necklaces from a friend from South Africa... they are really big in Europe. We almost never need to use medication anymore.. only sometimes before bed to help him sleep he gets some motrin. Since having his necklaces he's gotten 6 teeth (2 of which were molars) and teething is a breeze.
    We got ours from Europe off of Ebay because the price is MUCH better $8-10 per necklace vs $20 if you buy them in the states.
    EVERYONE should have some of these necklaces!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Baby Orijal ... A miracle.
    BuzyMamma

Answer by BuzyMamma at 1:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Well she's just over three months, and I can see where her gums are really red. At first I thought she was way too young to be teething but I can see where her tooth is coming in, poor thing :(
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I swear by Hyland's teething tablets.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 4:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Give her a frozen waffle so chew on. That helped with mine. Also, a friend of mine used to give her kids the bone from a steak, like the bone in a t-bone steak, to chew on. It helped with the teething, and sometimes if the tooth was almost there, it would help "cut" the gums so the tooth could break through. I haven't tried that myself, but you never know. It might work.
    I used to also just rub my oldest gums with my finger. Kinda hard so it helps with the itching.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2009