Could a barely noticeable white spot cause a chipped tooth and tooth decay? Please read! Picture of teeth included.

I am freaking out. My son is 17 months old and has 14 teeth. At his 15 month appointment, his teeth looked great. He hasnt been back since and my doctor said to take him to the dentist at 2 years. Well at 16 months i noticed a white spote on one of his teeth, and he just turned 17 months and it looks like his front left(his left, our right,) is chipping. Is it possible to have that much tooth decay in one month, or did he chip his tooth on something? Especially since his teeth looked perfect just two months ago according to his doctor?? I am taking him to a dentist this week, but I need advice. I brush his teeth 3 times a day.The white spot is barely noticeable and thats his only one.

Photobucket

MomofDom21

Asked by MomofDom21 at 1:14 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He must have hit it or something.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My little girl had a problem like this. Not her two front teeth, but the teeth on either side. Just those two. Started out as that for one of them. Chipped, decayed and had to be pulled. The other one was a small cavity that they filled with a white filling. NEVER get the silver ones. Those are like 49% mercury I believe. He would get a cap for that one anyway. :)
    Don't panic... I know I did... but it'll get taken care of. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Oh, and my dentist told me that it was just because of the way those two teeth developed. Nothing I could have done to prevent it.
    Autumn22

• My brother is a dentist. My DD has a chipped tooth in the same spot as your son. He said it is common for the baby teeth to get chipped because they are so naturally soft. He said it was nothing to be concerned about. I don't know about the white spot though?
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 1:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I have a white spot on my tooth from hitting my gums as a child. It grew in that way. My dentist said it was just a calcium deposit.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 4:22 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• uhhh...Ya, What they said (*points up*)
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• typically, white spots mean beginning stages of decay. but baby teeth are softier then adult teeth. my daughter used to chew on her crib (until we put up crib protectors), and her front teeth got chipped like how it is in your son's picture. Just keep brushing and get some fluoride in somewhere (water or paste) - that will keep them strong. good luck.
    tsheff

Answer by tsheff at 9:56 AM on Sep. 8, 2009