Do you think yelling at your kid instead of spanking them is a better kind of discipline?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, a good leather belt does the trick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• why yell or spank? i never yell at my kids...my presence alone means i get respect so theres no need
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My opinion may not be popular, but the way I see it is that my two-year-old can hold his own with yelling.  He and I are on equal ground in that department.  Spanking, on the other hand, does not sit well with me at all.  He weighs 26 pounds and I have the strength to overpower him and he cannot hurt me, so for me, it feels like crossing the line into abuse to inflict physical pain on him.  At two, he has trouble controlling impulses, and cannot always listen or resist temptation.  I owe it to him to redirect him, help him learn to control his impulses, and teach him the benefits of listening to me.  I do not want him to fear physical pain.  I want him to expect that I will speak to him clearly, directly, and calmly when I do not like his behavior.  If he does not listen, it will escalate into yelling.  He knows to expect that and it does not scare him. 
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 1:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• To add to my previous reply, it does not always escalate into yelling, but there are times when I try to speak to him and redirect him, and he just won't stop. As soon as I yell, he takes me seriously. It works for us, but it's not a daily thing.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 2:03 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• We use extension cords and hot curling irons over here and they listen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I don't spank but I yell...my poor child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I think every parent has there own way...
    Skurvy

Answer by Skurvy at 2:31 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• neither...it is both abuse....physical and mental...if you yell at a 2 year old they are not going to understand and they will grow up thinking that it is ok to scream and yell, yelling is very hurtful...not only for the child but for you too-if i were to yell at my boys i would feel terrible guilt.
    alsakagirl

Answer by alsakagirl at 2:36 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• How do you discipline your children alaskagirl? I asked this question because I was curious and for some advice on how to discipline my child in a better way instead of yelling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Umm, it isn't an either/or issue. You can both NOT yell and NOT spank. Mind you, there are times I raise my voice, but usually in extreme situations and I always apologize for it. I hate when I get that way, and I'm working on that.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 3:00 PM on Sep. 6, 2009