TV in bedroom. Is this a mistake?

I am thinking about putting a tv in my 3 yr olds bedroom. It would not have any cable to it, just a dvd player.

aussiesma

Asked by aussiesma at 2:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Why??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• no. 1. still young and can break it.

2. will become a tv by five yo and interfere with bedtime and school.

have them playact instead.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I just had an extra one (DVD player) and a friend moved and gave us his tv.
    aussiesma

Answer by aussiesma at 2:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I refuse to give my son a TV despite being offered one for free. It is just not a good idea. It inhibits sleeping and children with TVs in their room do worse in school than their counterparts who do not have a TV in their bedroom. Now as a teenager I will probably allow it due to video games but I will cross that bridge then. But no study has ever found there to be a positive outcome out of a TV being in a bedroom.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I don't like watching tv in the other rooms....
    We use the tv as a tool and only watch a few select shows a week.
    My kid wold question why there was a tv in his room!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I would not get into that habit ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 2:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• When would you have it on? At her will or only when you say so? Would you be able to put it out of her reach so she couldn't play with it or watch movies when she is supposed to be sleeping?
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 3:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• If you could put it up high where he couldn't reach it & only let him watch 1-2 shows each day and NOT during sleeping times, sure. Otherwise, definitely not. He should play, read, etc. instead.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Let us know after you walk in and find it on top of him, crushed.
    Let us know after he won't fall asleep without a moving going in the DVD player.
    Let us know when he won't go outside to play because he wants to stay in his room and watch a movie.
    Let us know when he won't play in his room with his toys, unless the TV is going.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Oh, WOW! Seriously, my kids have always had a TV in their room with a tape or DVD player. No one has ever been crushed by it (somehow I managed to teach my kids respect) and they do not spend all day in their rooms watching TV. I let them watch a movie at night in bed. The TV goes off at 9 for the school aged kids. They fall asleep fine with or without the TV, they spend all day outside riding bikes or jumping on the trampoline, and the TV doesn't get to stay on while they are playing. Don't let these people try to scare you out of something. Just because they don't know how to set limits doesn't mean you can't.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2009