How can I get my 30 month toddler to speak in full sentences

he understands everything, says a few words and phrases, but I wish he'd say more

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just continue to talk to him in full sentences. And try talking to him more like an adult then a child. Give him choices like "Would you like to wear your red shirt today, or your blue one?" The more you talk to your child, the more your child will learn how to talk.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:07 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Give him time. Some kids just take longer to speak than others. If you are really concerned you could have him evaluated to see if he might need to see a speech-language-pathologist. My DS is a late talker. He's 5 but talks more like a 3 1/2- 4yr old. He saw an SLP but it didn't really help him. The docs have determined that he's just one of those kids who talks late. There's no reason for it and there's nothing we can do- he'll talk when he's ready. As long as you are talking to him in full sentences and giving hinm lots of time to interact with other people/kids then that's the most important thing.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 3:08 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I've had some success with my 2.5 YO who has a speech delay, he was evaulated, but seems ok, and advanced in other areas, but his speech is behind... anyway, if he says 'juice!' I look at him and ask, 'would you like some juice?' and he says yes, then I say, "mommy, may I have more juice please" and most often he will repeat it as best he can... 'mommy, more juice please'. Anytime he says one or two words to convey something, I will always repeat it in full sentences and try and get him to do the same without making a huge deal out of it...I want it to be fun for him, not turn into a power struggle, kwim?

I do this with everything...if he points and says 'truck!' I'll say, "wow, look at the big red truck!' ... just be consistent and he'll get there.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Have him evaluated for possible speech delay. There is help available, why would anyone "just give it time" and hope he catches up?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• if your worried call 1-800-323-GROW they give free evaluations to kids under three-
    other wise just talk to him like a adult.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 4:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Do you take him to playgroups and stuff?

My next door neighbour's son was like this and as soon as he went to playgroup/nursery regularly he HAD to start talking more to communicate with other kids..it worked a treat.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My nephew wouldn't(or couldn't) talk til he was 4years old. Now we can't get him to shut up. Just be patient ma ma.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My son is the same age as yours and he's speaks in full sentences most of the time. When he's around my nephew(who will be 2 in November and who still doesn't speak) he reverts back to babbling and baby talk. Mostly he just mimics who he's around.

We never really spoke to him in baby talk. We'd use softer voices but regular words and sentences. We also read to him a lot. He loves books and we've read to him since before his little eyes could even focus. lol

Kids develop at different times. If you're worried about him then by all means talk to your doctor about it.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2009