Abnormal pap

I just got a letter from the doc saying that I had an abnormal pap smear. I am scheduled for a Colposcopy. None of the women in my family have had this happen so I was wondering if anyone else had gone through this and had any advice.

chrissifaye

Asked by chrissifaye at 3:05 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Health

• I had one once, I think I was probably about 30 years old (so 20 years ago!) Whatever the results were, I had to do some type of douching, go back and get re-checked, and whatever it was turned out to be normal the next time around. I never had an abnormal one after that. Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Sometimes an abnormal pap smear can be from undetected HPV or herpes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• No way to know without more tests. Sometiems it's just a bad sample and they need to take another. My mom and grandma both have this result every few years, not the following one is normal. Just something that runs in the family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• i just had that happen....but i took some test and everything was fine....
    arnisha1120

Answer by arnisha1120 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 7, 2009