new to milk

Im a first time mom and switching from formula to milk. A few questions...
How much milk a day?
Cold, or warm? (if warm how do you warm it?)
How long can it stay out in a sippy? I know formula was an hour after they started, same for milk or longer?
Can he drink some and I put his sippy back in the fridge til he wants the rest?
I looked forward to milk thinking it would be easier then I realized I didn't know what I was doing there either lol.
Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well all I can tell you is what I did for my kids. I gave my kids milk cold- mostly because I think warm tastes sour and my kids were bf'd, so used to sweet milk so I thought they would reject warm milk. I would keep a couple of (small) full sippys in the fridge and then bring one out if they wanted some and as soon as they were done drinking put it back in the fridge until they wanted more. I never left them out for more than about 10 mins.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 3:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I went straight to cold milk. I left it out for about an hour and then tossed it, but I really don't like the smell or taste of milk that gets warm. I let my son drink and then put back in the fridge if it wasn't out for very long. I also always left a sippie of water at least half full out so even if he couldn't get his milk, he could have water. the Dr told me 20 or so oz of milk a day, so about three glasses (I did breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• How much milk a day? My doctor told me 16oz. or more a day
    Cold, or warm? (if warm how do you warm it?) You might want to just give it to them cold because once you warm it it will sour faster.
    How long can it stay out in a sippy? I know formula was an hour after they started, same for milk or longer? Milk can be left out for a maximum of three hours if it's not drunk before that it will give them a stomach ache.
    Can he drink some and I put his sippy back in the fridge til he wants the rest? I do this all the time. I'm not sure about over night though so I never do it then but during the day that's fine. Most of the time once kids get used to drinking only milk and water, milk is their drink of choice and they'll guzzle it down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• OMG! 3 hours?!?! Gross! I agree with the cold milk, but I wouldn't give my child milk that was out of the fridge for more than 10 or 15 min. Then again, I won't drink milk if it is out of the fridge for more than a couple mins. Putting it back in the fridge should be fine, as long as you get back to it soon (an hour or two). How much depends on you. I give my 14 month old 1-2 small cups a day (less than 16 oz). My older kids get even less. I only offer it with breakfast and sometimes snack. Otherwise they get water.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 5:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• It seemed like it took my son FOREVER to get used to milk. My son's doc told me to mix half and half(half formula, half milk) but this was a looooooooooooooong time ago. My son is ten now and still hates milk. Good luck ma ma!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Our doctor said 16-24 oz per day, and cold milk is fine. It doesn't need to be warmed. Found this:

Toddler Cups and Warm Milk
    It’s normal for a toddler to toddle off with their cup full of milk. You assume that they are going to drink it, but then awhile later you find them drinking it happily. Chances are, if your toddler does this and doesn’t complain about the milk that it is still safe to drink and it will cause no harm to them. Of course, a toddler doesn’t know how long the milk has been out, so you need to know what sort of time frame is safe and what is not.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• (con't) According to most experts, milk can sit out at room temperature for two hours and still be safe to use. If the milk has been out for two hours and 15 minutes chances are it is probably still safe, but you probably shouldn’t take that risk with your child. Any time you find a toddler cup that has been sitting out and it has been out for two hours or more, dump the milk out, rinse the cup, and start over! It’s always better to be safe than sorry.

A great way to avoid drinking old milk is to ensure that your child does not leave the kitchen or dining area with the cup. This can be difficult to do, especially when you have worked so hard to get your toddler to accept the cup, but this will help you keep tabs on the milk. If you can, tell your toddler that once they are done drinking that they should put their cup in the refrigerator or that they should give it to you to put in the refrigerator.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• (con't) Your toddler can continue to drink out of a cup as long as it has not been out of the refrigerator for more than two hours. If your child drinks out of a cup and then puts it in the refrigerator they can continue to drink out of that cup for 24 hours, but anything longer may allow for bacteria to grow in the cup. Toddler cups should be washed every 24 hours, regardless of whether the child is drinking milk, juice, or water out of it.

Above link: http://www.thelaboroflove.com/articles/how-long-can-whole-milk-sit-out-in-a-toddler-cup/

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• the last answer was great, thank you so much. pretty much answered everything :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I put the milk in a sauce pan stir it a bit to get the chill out, not warm not just cold cold out of the fridge ....................BTW when baby is 2 switch to 1% or 2% milk they no longer need all the fat thats in whole milk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Sep. 7, 2009