What are the chances of a three month premature baby surviving?

Friend in hospital in labor, three months early....what are the chances for the baby?

sophiafarris

Asked by sophiafarris at 3:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• How many weeks along is she?
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:24 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• She's twelve weeks premature.....so she's 28 weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Not good. But with some careful monitering and constant care and attention, the baby has a better chance.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 3:40 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• It's always better if they can keep the baby in the mom for as long as possible but miracles do happen when they are that early.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Excellent! As long as the baby is healthy, and doesn't have any underlying problems the chances are great! I had a SICK 27 weeker, and she had her 5th birthday in May. I know most people don't think a week makes much difference, but in truth every DAY at that gestational age makes a BIG difference.
    2PreemieGirls

Answer by 2PreemieGirls at 4:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Every day in the third trimester makes a difference. The baby starts growing very rapidly again. The baby will probably be fine with constant monitering.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I agree with 2preemiegirls. These days they can do so much. They have meds to develop babies lungs. I had my son at 30 weeks and I know those 2 weeks make a big difference but he was perfectly healthy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I had my son @ 29 weeks...he turned 9 last May! He is a little smaller than the other boys his age, but other than that, he is perfectly healthy. Good luck to your friend. She will need all the support you can give her.
    Mommy2AAA

Answer by Mommy2AAA at 6:24 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Medical advancements nowadays are amazing. I was a 27/28 weeker born in 1977. I weighed 1lb 10 oz and am now a healthy 32 yr old mother of 2 boys w/ another to be born on Thurs. All you and your friend,family, etc can do is to pray and offer support. Good Luck!
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 6:57 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• 28 weeks is pretty good, they usually have a high chance of survival after 27 weeks. before then its very low.
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 6, 2009