What behaviors do you consider selfish?

I'm doing my best to be a good Mom and put my children first. Their emotional and physical health. I know it's not about me anymore and I'm working really hard on that. Sometimes I think I do selfish things and am trying not to.

What behaviors have you seen in Moms that you would consider "selfish?"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Ignoring their child for the computer .
    Buying things for them instead of taking care of the children.
    Dressing your self in better nicer clothes then your kids,.
    Always wanting to go out .
    Stuff liek that
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:36 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I'm going to get slammed for this and I know it, but it's my opinion. Not trying to breasfeed for no other reason that you "don't want to." If your baby has a serious condition, or you have a serious health condition, I understand. But it breaks my heart to see newborns sucking down formula when they should be getting colostrum and antibodies from their mommies. Notice I said not TRYING. If you tried and it didn't work out, I won't judge. It's when they don't try that I think they're being selfish. Particularly stay at home mommies who don't have to worry about pumping at work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• OP here. Mrs Owen I totally agree about the computer. It's one of those things I KNOW I've been selfish about and am trying to not do. Right now my husband is playing with our baby. What's really important-computer or child? Thanks for your response.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Anon: Totally agree with not trying to breastfeed. WHY would you not try when the damn formula can says "Breastmilk is best?" Seriously, how selfish can you be? How hard would it be to TRY for a week or two? (Not counting serious health problems).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I think this question was started just to bash formula feeders. Go get a hobby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• i breastfeed for two weeks, and then i stopped for no other reason then i was fucken tired, and my boobs hurt and i just couldnt do it anymore. i did feel very selfish about it though. another thing i feel thats selfish that i do that im trying to change, is not caring enough about my health then i should. because im someone mommy now, and hes gonna want me to be healthy & be alive for as long i can.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:45 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Ignoring your kids and talking on the phone all day or night or whatever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• ignoring their hubby for the kids
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Not disciplining your children. Seriously. They need it to grow up to be respectful. Some women are just too bothered or don't feel like doing it. So they let their kids say whatever they want and do whatever they want. I'm a teacher, so that's what I'm basing it off it. Students at school who haven't had any discipline because the parents just don't do it. It ends up hurting the children in the long run.
    ClaireW

Answer by ClaireW at 3:55 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I don't get the ignoring their husband for the kids bit. The husband should be an adult & able to take care of things himself. I think it would be selfish of him to expect to be put before the kids.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 6, 2009