Should the CDC recommend routine circumcision to prevent HIV/AIDS?

The CDC is considering making a statement recommending routine newborn circumcision for babies in the US to prevent HIV/AIDS. The American Academy of Pediatrics does not support routine circumcision.

Intact America, an organization that is against circumcision, doesn't agree with making the recommendation. The science doesn't back such a recommendation.

There was a large study that recommended circumcision in Africa. However, that study did not recommend routine circumcision in the US because circumstances are very different between Africa and the US.

The baby boys we circumcise today won't be sexually active for over a decade. Should we do unnecessary surgery and pay for that surgery to possibly prevent a disease that may not even be a problem in 10-20 years when the boys will become sexually active?

The question is, should the CDC make the recommendation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Health

• nooooooooooo
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 3:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Circumcision is covered by most insurance companies nowadays, however, there are always certain circumstances where the parents choose for their son to not be circumcised. Religious reasons, health, etc.. no, I do not think it should be necessary.
    My son was born at 27 weeks gestation, and around discharge time - they asked if we wanted him circumcised. We declined. My DH is not. And our son was still so little and teeny - he weighed less than an average newborn still, and I didn't want that extra stress on him.
    I guess I'll need to read up on why exactly a circumcised penis is less likely to contract HIV/AIDS... then one that isn't... but it seems pretty ridiculous for it to be mandatory.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 3:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Yes.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 3:38 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• It's just a recommendation. Should you disagree, you still have every right not to circumsize. (sp?)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• If insurance pays for it that means we as a society pays for it. If there is circumcision someone pays. Some parents without insurance have paid as much as $2000.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:56 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• No, they should recommend freakin condoms.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• No
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2009