Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you think people who collect child support are in the same group as those on PA ?

When I started getting child support I was getting it for 3 kids and now the 2 older ones are off of it and I get it for the last girl between me and my ex.
My brother in law who gripes about how he pays $6000 a yr in taxes to support welfare moms, started to argue with me over my child support. His argument is that because My husband's employer sends the money to a state collection agency and they in turn send me the money...I am therefore receiving public asst.!
I say that is BS! and tried to tell him the state take the money because it is COURT ordered and he says I should have never had kids if I can't support them with out child support. I told him every kid is entitled to child support! Even if the custodial parent is filthy rich!
He still insists that me child support is a form of PA!!! He and my sister don't even have kids! yet they toot their horn as if they know all about it being parents and divorced or what not

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (67)
  • Of course it's not public assistance. The money is coming from the FATHER and it isn't ASSISTANCE. You did not make that child by yourself and you shouldn't have take care of the child all by yourself. Your brother in law is a boneheaded moron!

    Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • How is that PA when it comes from the FATHER. Tax payer money doenst go to your child support...he is a moron

    Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:40 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • He's an idiot....your ex is helping you support the kids as he would be if you were still married...the fact that it goes through the attorney general's office or wherever is merely to keep track of it.....tell him to get a clue or just shut up...

    Answer by Jan40 at 3:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • He feels it is PA because the state Government takes the money out of ex's check and sends it to me... therefore someone in the Minneapolis Government center needs to have a salary paid for by the tax payers and he acts like he is the only tax payer and that all HIS taxes go to welfare programs.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • wow. Your BIL is really grasping, if that's how he feels. Ignore him, its not PA. Let him think what he wants.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • Just tell him, they are merely a third party receiver and nothing different than if your ex sent it directly to you...they just keep track of it for the court....excuse my french but he's a dumb ass....

    Answer by Jan40 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • your french is just fine, i agree with you actually!

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • I don't know if it is different in other states, but in MN, taxes are taken out of child support, just like any other income. Tell your BIL to shove it up his ass.

    Answer by peppermintmocha at 4:37 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • He is an IDIOT!

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • Parents are EXPECTED to care for their OWAN children!!!!!!

    Answer by mom2boys1997 at 4:45 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.