Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can anyone help me here?

We desperately need to sell our house and move to a bigger one that is closer to friends and family. Living in such tight quarters is really having an impact on my relationship with my husband... as well as putting our daughter in a bad mood every time we come home from her grandparent's house because she likes to run and play and there is no room for that here. We have no credit for a mortgage, this home was built using money loaned from family and we're making payments to her. Problem is, we need a lawyer to fix the title on our house and we can't afford to pay one at the moment. I heard that there are "pro bono" lawyers who will help those who can't afford it. Does anyone know how to find one? Where to apply? How it works?

Answer Question

Asked by ErinHill226 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 16 (2,504 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Go to the closest law school and they can help you. My sister and my ex both got lawyers pro bono by going to the school. Good luck!

    Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • If you do not have credit for a mortgage, and cannot afford an attorney to "fix" the title, how are you going to afford a down payment, mortgage, and interest, and taxes?

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • We are not taking out a mortgage FYI, that is why we need to sell in order to move. We're taking the money we make from this house and rolling it over into another house. My husband built this one, so instead of building another small one.... we plan to buy a little bit larger one that needs some work done using some of the money and fix it up using the rest of it. We also have access to a lot of free or reduce building materials in small amounts because his entire family works in that industry. So repairing an old house with more space and closer to family is better for us than staying in our brand new house that is too small and far away. Also, 600 or so for taxes is a lot less than 3K for an attorney. I could technically get the money, but being that my husband and I are both self employed and law students needs the experience...I'd rather not spend the money and save it in case something else comes up.

    Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

  • I would have to SAVE it granted...I'm not super duper rich and just trying to get freebies. It would take money away from things my family could use. Besides, why can't people answer the question that was asked? I have plans. I do my research on costs and making good investments. I'm not letting my family go hungry. Times are tough out there, and quite honestly... if I can manage to find a law student who needs the experience anyway to do something for free and save my money "just in case"... then why not? I offer my services for free all the time right now so I can make more money in the coming months and I never ask my clients why they are starting a business with so little money instead of getting a job or how they are going to afford it. I just do my work and wish them well. Oh, but thanks Bridget! I will do that!

    Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Just for Fun
Is it too much...