Carseats and Car accidents

Someone told me that when you get into an accident that you have to replace the carseats that were in the car. We got rearended the other day, no harm to anyone, and barely any harm to our car. Do we still have to replace the carseats or no? I live in NY state if that helps

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 3:48 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Some say yes, replace it even in the slightest accident. I think that if it was just a bump then you can just keep it, if your car was smashed and jerked around then you should probably get a new one. It depends on how hard you were hit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Yes you have to replace the seat. It's right in the manual. You replace it after "ANY" accident.

In NY state it is the LAW that insurance companies have to pay reimbursement as part of the accident for the carseats.

Just a bump put stress on the seat. They are to be replaced if occupied or not occupied.

Is it really worth the possible life of your child to not replace it even though the manufacturer says to? It's simple physics.

Replace the seat. It is not safe for your kid to be in now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I can't fathom that a minor fender bender that barely damaged your car warrants replacing your car seat. If it would have, then my insurance agent would have given me money to replace mine when someone backed into my car. Car seats are covered in my policy (under my renter's insurance I believe.) The guy who hit me cracked my bumper pretty good. Now, had it been my car accident before I had kids, I would have replaced them as I totaled her car even though there was only a small dent in mine. Talk to your insurance agency or the police dept and see what they have to say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• actually you only need to replace it if the car has visible damage or if any passengers were injured, if neither happened then you dont have to replace the carseat
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 5:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2009