Why do people name their child /children after someone?

I don't like the whole Jr. thing.

Poor kid doesn't even have his/her own name.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My brother who is 18 month younger than I was our bio-father's first-born son so he was named after him as a Jr., but because he was never in our lives we always called him Ron. For some reason our Grammy on our bio-father's side called him J.R., which he hated, but loved her too much to tell her.
    The first-born son of my step-father was named after him as a Jr., but we called him JJ. When he and our mom died the family gravestone has his first and last name, but the footstone has our mom's first name and has him listed as JJ on it (they were buried together).
    My husband did not want a son named after him, but he agreed to allow his first name used in a boy's name and allow me to honor my brother so we decided on Joshua James and would have called him JJ. Unfortunately, we never had a son, but the name is still precious to us. ♥
    Passing on names is done out of love and respect for most families is all.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Because its family tradition .
    You wouldnt understand it if you dont do it.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:56 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• To honor somebody they love. It is very simple. I agree with Ms.Owen, you wouldn't understand it if you don't do it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:57 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I think it is strange when some parents name their first son something else and then their second son Jr.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:58 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I should say that in my family, we have not done the Jr. thing. But all the babies born have a name from someone in the family.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:01 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• respect for the person they ar named after. Jr. is seldom used as a nick name anymore. My brother was never called Jr he went by a name of his own choosing. There have been RICHARd in seven out of eight generations on my mom's side.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I understand why some people do it because a couple people in my family do but I still don't like it because the poor kid doesn't have his own identity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• A name isnt who you are. My husband is Borron the 3rd goes by Trey and he is his own person.
    Same as everyone else in his and my families We are all named after someone our Genevieve is the 8th Genevieve in his family.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I get that its tradition is some families...that makes sense but it doesn't make sense if it's not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Most kids don't have their own name anyway. I was one of 6 Jennifers in my HS biology class. At least if they're a Jr, they are named after someone they (hopefully) respect and love, their dad.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2009