how soon do you start brushing your childs teeth?

I was wondering how old your child should be to begin brushing his teeth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you can start as early as 15 months with kids swallowable toothpaste. walmart has it.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 4:16 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I did that when their first teeth came out. I use some wet towel or finger brush to do the job. I thought they really loved me doing so because I kinda massaged their gum in the same time, very soothing to them. BTW, sometimes they chewed on my finger or towel though. Well, it doesn't hurt as long as they had clean mouths.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 4:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• As soon as a tooth pops out. They have fluoride free toothpaste that is safe to swallow.

I think you can use it after three months as well to clean their gums.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• You can start using baby toothpaste that is flouride free as soon as 4 months! I would start brushing as soon as your lo teeth pop through.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• What an awesome idea ocsosomom!! Thanks I am so trying that.

My son is nearly 2 haven't really brushed his teeth too much as he makes too much of a fuss. His teeth seem to be perfectly fine though but he is mostly breastfed. Will start doing it more regularly now though.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:45 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• We started brushing "teeth" before they even had any. By the time they really had teeth, they were used to the brushing and we've not had any trouble...so far. LOL

We started when they could sit up unassisted...about 4 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I give my kids a toothbrush in the bath tub as soon as they have a tooth. They just chew on it, but I have never had a problem progressing to brushing as they got older.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I don't even remember when I bought the tooth brushes, but it must have been when DS#1 was about 10 months old and we started visitations with SS (who had never brushed his teeth before and he was four years old.) Now that DS#1 is two weeks shy of his 2nd birthday and SS is five years old we have contests during our daily hygiene times (when we wake up and before bed). Who can get all of their teeth shining white by the end of 2 minutes? I'm the coach, referee, and judge! LOL! They love competing against each other, so it's a fun thing to do.

We'll be getting DS#2 a tooth brush when he gets his first tooth I think... or possibly when he is able to compete with the other boys during hygiene time.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 6:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I started brushing my sons gums at 4 months old soon as he started teething w/ a finger brush and baby toothpaste. Then once he had a mouthful of teeth (around 10 months old) I used fluoride free baby toothpaste and a soft bristle brush. Then around 2 we started using toddler toothpaste.

"My son is nearly 2 haven't really brushed his teeth too much as he makes too much of a fuss. "

No offense meant but the fuss he makes of it is because he isn't used to it. By the time my son was 2 he was doing it himself (or atleast trying to) because we had been doing it since the beginning. Even if his teeth "seem" perfect does not mean they are.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:07 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• We started to when he had more than just the bottom two teeth, so since he was about 1 y/o. He is 15 months now and we try to brush them once a day, but sometimes we forget!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2009