My best friends Dr didn't even do an exam but told her she'll go into labor anytime now just bc he felt that the babies head is in position and she still has about 5 weeks til her due date...WTF?

So my best friend int due for 5 more weeks and I think her dr is a moron. She went to the Dr Friday and he told her that she should have her baby anytime now just by feeling that the babys head was down into the right position. He didn't even check to see if she was dilated or effaced or anything. She's getting her hoes up and trying to go into labor by walking around WalMart and doing nothing but wearing herself out. I have one child and am pregnant with another so I've tried to explain to her that labor will come when it's meant to and the Dr can't predict that she'll have the baby anytime now with out checking her down there. How can I get it thru her head that she'll go into labor when she's meant to and just bc he stupid dr says she will anytime now doesn't necceasarily mean anything since her hasn't even check her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If the baby's head has dropped then there is a really good chance she will deliver sooner than later.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 4:44 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Getting checked will not help anyone to know anything. It's really irrelevant. ;- /
    Maybe he used the word "could" and she heard "should." ?

No~ definitely no way to know, even with a vaginal exam, when labor WILL start. Hopefully, she listened to you.
    It's ridiculous when care providers say stuff like that, women get their hopes up. Then confused if it doesn't happen. Then disappointed, unnecessarily. That just isn't fair. Not nice to mess with a vulnerable woman like that!! She needs to be REALLY confident at that moment....
    I can't help but wonder if it's part of breaking a woman down, she becomes more susceptible & willing to permit interventions (that aren't for her benefit, but the doctor's).

Keep her strong~ you sound like a helpful friend!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• i agree with doulala the doc checking your dialation and effacement means nothing... but i was told by my ob doc that when your baby drops and does not move at all for half a day and you sit in a quite dark room with your hands on your belly trying to get baby to move and baby still doesnt move then you need to go see doc.. so i not sure what that tells them.. but ya, good luck
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Being dilated or not is not an indication of anything, its useless information. The baby dropping is as good a guess as dilation so her doctor is not a moron at all. In my opinion good doctors don't do useless checks on their patients!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2009