breastfeeding

My dd is 10 days old and I started out bottle feeding. I wanted to bf but with my 1st dd it was too stressful in the hospital. When I took her home I tried bfing and it was relaxing, I just didnt get much sleep(my 1st is only 14months so the two of them kept me up) so I stopped. I havent bf in about 5 days and was wondering if I would still have an adaquet supply to start bfing again. I'm just worried she bc she is a little piggy and I dont know if I will have enough formula till tues. which is both the day I go to wic and my boyfriend gets paid. If I pick back up will my supply sastisfy her and what can I do to increase my supply Just in case

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 4:58 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No idea about picking it back up but try eating oatmeal and whole grain bread because those will help your supply- also make sure to drink lots of water to keep hydrated. I would also suggest you continue bfing after that just in case
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 5:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Absolutely. My first, DD, I couldn't figure out breastfeeding. I had given up. Came home from the hospital on formula. She was a crazy coliky baby, and when she was 5 days old, and freaking out, DH suggested just giving it one more try. I hadn't tried to nurse, or pump in like 2-3 days. Lo and behold, she latched, like a pro, I heard lots of swallowing, and a nice burp when she finished. From there on in, she was a boobieaholic, and things were easy.

Point being, yes, it can be done, and no, it is not too late. This early on, I'd suggest COMPLETELY ditching formula/bottles, and just totally nurse on demand. It will give your supply the boost it needs, and as long as you nurse on demand, and are changing 6-8 diapers a day, and your baby is gaining/not losing, you will know that your supply is adequate.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2009