What would you have done?

Ok so earlier today we are out doing yardwork, DS (16 yo) went to put something in the shed while he was in there he tripped put his hand up to catch himself on the wall and landed it right on a nail sticking through. He has a puncture wound in the center of his palm but it's not really bleeding so I tell him to go clean it up then I looked at it he said it felt deep but nothing real bad. Anyway I call the pediatrician to check that his tetnus shot is up to date - was 99% sure it was- and it was okay. My question is DH says I overreacted by calling to check on his tetnus booster! He thinks I should have just waited to see if it shows signs of infection then deal with it. What would you have done? Did I overreact?

goaliemom93

Asked by goaliemom93 at 5:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• no, you did the right thing...men just think we over react about everything....my dh would have probally just washed it with water & went on about his business, no peroxide or alcohol to clean it, just water lol men are stupid when it comes to stuff like that
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:55 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I would have done just what you did. I don't think you over-reacted, sounds like you were calm. Wash it, check the shot record, put a bandage on it, back to work.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• You didn't over react at all.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• You should have actually made it bleed a bit. This clears it of infection. Then wash it and wrap it. No, I think calling was actually very brilliant of you. This way if he does end up getting an infection you can tell the doctor his shot is up-to-date so they don't overdose him on it. There are other things to give when the booster is up-to-date and an infection happens anyway.

Good luck.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 6:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• You did the right thing. You can never be too careful when it comes to tetanus.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Overreacting would have been to wrap his hand in a towel and race him to the emergency room.

You did the right thing.
    I stepped on a nail when I was a kid(three or four years old) and my parents cleaned my foot then called the doctor as well. I'm pretty sure I needed a tetnus shot...I can't really reember that far back but I do remember going to the hospital after my dad got off of the phone.

Either way. You did not over react.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• You did great better to be safe than sorry.My oldest is 25 but my ob-gyn and ped. have always said they prefer a contact like yours than one after things are going wrong.The last is the type that turns them gray early to quote my ped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• No it is better safe then sorry you were just being a mom.
    Stinkerbelle71

Answer by Stinkerbelle71 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I don't think u overreacted at all. I would have done the same thing.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 7:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• No, you didn't over-react. I would have done the same thing. The worry is a rusty nail really. How can caring about your son's welfare be over-reacting?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Sep. 6, 2009