Breast Feeding during Day. Formula at night

Hello, I have just had a baby on the second, and currently am just breastfeeding, my iusse is I am so sore, and so tired cuz i get up every 2 hours to feed him. Also my boyfriend would love to have the bonding experiance with him, but since i am breast feeding he cant enjoy that moment. I was thinking about formula feeding at night only so My boyfriend can bond with our son, and I can get a few extra hours of sleep at night. But I do not know if this is a good idea. Any input? Thank you.
-First Time Mommy

kduffy

Asked by kduffy at 5:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think they say that the less you pump or breastfeed, the less milk your body will make, but your not gonna stop making it just for stopping at night. and alot of people supplement with forumla. my son was supplemented beginning in the hospital when he was in the NICU. i only breastfeed for two weeks, and i was so tired and sore that i just gave up. i think it would be good for you to have a break and let your husband bond with the baby. it should be fine, you just might wake up with some really engorged boobs. but i really dont know.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:00 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• With a baby that young you have to be careful with nipple confusion, and your supply since the baby is still so young they say to wait to supplement until you have a good supply.

Also your BF might get sick of having to get up at night with the baby.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 6:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• If he wants to give a bottle, pump a little for him.

Getting up every two hours is the lot of being a mother. It's part of the job.

It's good to read that your boyfriend wants to be involved!! Unless you plan to go to formula later, I'd hesitate to introduce it this early, though. Try pumping some....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• First let me congratulate u on ur babyboy. But that's not a bad idea. I always breastfed while at night time I would have couple of bottles ready with water n formula to go. It is just so much easier that way just coz I wanted to sleep n rest more. As far as ur supply of milk, as long as u r taking ur multi vitnams, and eating good (dairy products and milk) and drinking ur water. Then u should be fine. So good luck, and if u have anymore questions feel free to ask. Tc.
    BuzyMamma

Answer by BuzyMamma at 6:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• With us we did one bottle feeding at night so that I could get a longer stretch. I think if your baby is up every 2 hours at night as well I wouldn't skip all of those feedings... maybe do every other.
    It worked well for us and my husband enjoyed the special time with just the 2 of them (he still will get up with him in the middle of the night if he wakes up and he's 13 months)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Congrats on baby! My son almost 2 months old and I've been supplementing with formula from day one and has not had nipple confusion. I do somethig similar to what you are thinking but I've found it easier to supplement formula during the day so that my husband can help with him while I am doing chores or cooking and at night it's just easier for me to breastfeed I don't have to get up to make bottles and I think nursing him makes him fall asleep faster. My son only has 2 bottles of formula a day and I also pump.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 7:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Congrats on the baby! That idea, while definitely enticing for you, will not work if you want to breastfeed. You will have to get up anyway to pump due to engorgement. Without breastfeeding on demand, especially in the beginning, will more then likely lead to a failed breastfeeding relationship due to you not being able to keep up with the every demanding need for more and more breastmilk. Also by introducing a bottle you are also chancing nipple confusion which again causes many more hurdles for your breastfeeding relationship when introduced in the first 6 weeks. Finally and most importantly there are plenty of ways for daddy to bond with baby without physically feeding baby. Have dad help out in other just as important ways. Help you get ready for feeding, rub baby's head while feeding (helps in brain development). Have dad change baby, play with baby, hold baby during non feed times, etc.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Congratulations on the little one. I know you are feeling tired and hurting right now, but I would recommend that you continue to either breastfeed at night or pump. If you start "skipping" feeding, your milk supply will go down. It is tempting, I know, thinking all the sleep you will be able to get, but if you let your boyfrind give him a bottle, definitely pump, so you will keep producing.
    Just think of all the great nutrients you are giving your baby, that you won't be able to give him later in life. Good Luck.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I would suggest trying to find other ways for him to bond with the baby. Breastmilk is so important, try to keep at it! You can take naps during the day, get more help...
    And remember, the *very* important fat-rich hindmilk is more abundant in the night (for some reason).
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:58 PM on Sep. 6, 2009