how do i plant a vegatable garden?

this is my first time planting one. do i plant the seeds outside in the ground or somewhere else, because i am afraid the birds will eat my seeds.

I want simple stuff like cucumber, okra and cantelope. what else should i plant that is simple and How do i break up the ground without a tiller, or should i rent a tiller?

bluetopia6

Asked by bluetopia6 at 4:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I would rent a tiller... that always works best. Depending where you live, the animals will be very attracted to lettuce, carrots & corn. I've heard that if you plant a few marigold flowers around the edges of your garden, it will help keep some critters away. And yes, just plant your seeds in the ground. If you haven't started yet, do it SOON. Most gardens should be planted in the spring.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Definitely use the tiller...measure out a space that gets good sunlight, and dig up the top layer of sod. Till out about 3 inches down and add black dirt if you really want a good start. You can also mix in some fertilizer for vegetables if you'd like (like miracle-gro for vegetables). Mix that in with the dirt you tilled up. Plant the seeds and give them a really thorough watering to get them started.

As for the animals...they drove my grandma crazy, so she put up a little fence (wood stakes and chicken wire---small holes) all the way around and about a foot to a foot and a half high. If you're worried about birds eating the seeds, you could cover it with a fine mesh metal screen that can be fastened down until the seeds really start to take off growing.
    singtastic

Answer by singtastic at 4:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2008