• In the Spotlight:

How can I get my 2 yr old off of strawberry milk?

I think my 2 yr old needs a patch because over the past year she has been drink ing strawberry milk to put herself to sleep,I know it's her comfort blanket but now it's to give it up. It's to the point where she would yell out " I need my Strawberry". She's potty trained, so she gets up and goes in the middle of the night, but I don't want the syrup to ruin her teeth. I also buy 2% and fat free milk. HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MissSassy83

Asked by MissSassy83 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

• slowly add less and less of the syrup in her milk...but do it in front of her so she knows your adding it...after a while just stop doing it completely....
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• why was she even on it to start? you started the problem
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Stop giving it to her and be done with the problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My son was the same way with choc milk. I started buying chocolate pediasure and mixing it with his milk 60%milk 40% pediasure. It's healthier than choc syrup and they make it in Strawberry. The only problem is that it's a little expensive. But he can't tell the difference in taste.
    Bmanda352

Answer by Bmanda352 at 6:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• First, ignore Anonymous, she's appearantly a "perfect" parent. Who's kids eats all of their fruits and veggies.

My daughter also drinks and loves strawberry milk. And when she asks, sometimes, I let her know that it's empty and we need to get more. I have also lessened the amount of flavoring that I add. The main difference is I didn't give it to her at night. They get regular vitamin d milk at dinner and water, if they're thirsty before bed.

Good luck!!

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 6:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• the first anon.. sorry my 2 yr old dont get added syrup sorry..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I agree with #1.. add less and less and see if that breaks it. If not give her some milk, then have her brush her teeth and go to bed. By two she might understand that having the milk in bed after she has brushed her teeth may give her rotten teeth, see if she gets the concept and gives it up!

Good luck!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 6:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I would either just stop giving it and put up with a few tantrums
    Or just slowly "wean" to regular milk

If it were me I would just do cold turkey... she's too old to need milk to go to sleep... regular or strawberry
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Ever tried organic strawberry milk? Much healthier option. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Interesting that two anon posters who made realistic statements are bashed by someone who seems to be posting drunk, has little grasp of the English language but who apparently is quite versed in foul language.

By allowing her daughter to have strawberry milk every night in bed, she did cause this problem.

She should just take it away and be done with it. A couple of nights of crying and fussing (and probably some screaming) then it's done and over. Why prolong something that has possibly already done damage to her teeth?

I'm the second anon. I'm not a perfect parent and have never claimed to be one. My kids, however, do eat their fruits and vegetables. (still wondering what that has to do with anything here)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2009