Bedtime.

Ok, so my son is fantastic at taking his nap during the day. Every day at 1pm he has a nap and there's rarely an argument about it, he's tired and ready for it.
Bedtime at night however is a different story. Sometimes he freaks out and cries about having to go to bed but that's not so much my issue.

We stick to the same time every night and do the same routine. We have done the same routine at the same time since he was born(give or take a few weeks as a newborn)

It used to go pretty smoothly. Bath at 7pm, followed by a lotion rubdown, jammies, stories and kisses. He'd play a little bit after we left the room but he'd be asleep by 8:30-9pm.

Now he is up until at least 10pm every night, playing or "reading" himself stories.
No matter how many times we go in and put him back into bed, he just gets up and starts playing again.

How the heck do I get him to go to sleep at a normal time again?

Laila-May

Asked by Laila-May at 6:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If they are not in school yet, they still need a nap, monitor how long. The key is to be firm and not to allow the playing and getting up after they are in bed. Todlers will try anything they are experimenting in their world and if something works once or more then it is theirs for the keeping. good luck..
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:10 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• mine does that sometimes too most of the time i skip his nap and by the time his bedtime comes he's good and tired ( he usually isn't all that tired for a nap) maybe try that and see what happens? good luck
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 6:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• take an early nap 1pm is too late.. and make it only an hour.. no more then an hour and 30. My daughter use to do the same thing until i let her naps be only an hour.. her bed time is 830 and she now lays down with a lil fuss but is OUT in about 5-10 mins!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I used to stand at the door. No so she could see me but just out of her sight. As soon as their foot hit the floor I was on them. "Get back in bed!!" After a couple nights in a row, she did stay in her bed. I also remind them what time it is. I'll ask "It's 9o'clock. What do we do at 9o'clock?" And now they reply "Go night night." It's so cute when they say it. Then I remind them what we do a bedtime and leave the room. Works 99% of the time now. Unless my daughter isn't really tired, maybe once or twice in a 2week period she gets up. I tell her go back to bed, I'll give her her bear and leave the room again. After the second tuck in she's pretty good. Good luck!!

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 6:57 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Wow you think you have problems try my child fights EVERY SINGLE NAP and at bed time It takes at least 2 hours to get her to go to sleep thank god she is still in her crib. I have tried EVERYTHING and when i say EVERYTHING i mean EVERYTHING. Well it's bottle and book time under this roof and then night night time see you all in a few hours my fun has began. I love my child with every inch of my heart and sole but sleep is a must. Have a great night ladies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2009