How can I get my 2 year old daughter to eat more.

My daughter was 2 on Aug 7 2009. She has never been a big eater. Ever. Now as she has gotten older I can hardly get her to eat anything. I offer her a wide variety of foods. Even things that I told myself I'd never feed my child and she still barely eats. Sometimes not at all. It drives me crazy and completely dominates my day. I do all the suggested things. Restriced snacks. Restricted juice/milk between meals, and it makes no difference. I keep thinking she's going to grow out of this but its not changing at all. Any thoughts? Im seriously going insane.

Gen67

Asked by Gen67 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its a phase, you have to stick to your guns, sit down with her at meals and eat with her. if she doesnt eat she doesnt eat. you at least tried. she will tell you when shes hungry. what we did with my son is we sat with him at the table and once he saw all of us eating he would eat too. that was some days, other days he didnt want to eat what we had so we would ask him what he wanted and almost always it was sweets and junk food he wanted, so we would tell him no and say he had to eat his dinner. we would cut his dinner in half and tell him to eat that half then he could get up. we would start off small, and if he was still asking for snacks after he just ate that half we would cut another half of his meal and ask him to eat that and say he needed to eat that or he wouldnt get a snack. it just takes time and consistancy. GL
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 7:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• another thing we did too, was we would let him see us eating food off his plate, he would get upset and start eating.
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 7:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• try something interactive more.... like a build your own pizza party on english muffins or bagels. she can spoon on her own cheese, meat, veggies, sauce, etc.... and then help u preheat the oven, hand u the hot pads.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Also give her a special nite of the week to plan the dinner menu. take her to the store and let her guide you. chicken, pasta, whatever...... tell her she's the momma and she has to buy dinner. try a different or smaller store (i know trader joe has 'em) with small kid sized carts to seal the deal.... or buy one (Ive seen them at walmart for 9.99.... but i got a fancy little tikes one for $5 at a yard sale)

make her the boss a bit more and have more control of the food. and then what she picks out (and maybe pushes) she puts onto the conveyer belt and carries a small amt. of in a bag of her own, and carries into the house and helps put away. and let her choose her own plate, etc for it.... more choices, freedom, repsonsibility. if she's had a hand in it, she is waaaaay less likely to snub it
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:37 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• mine still is not much of an eater and he is 3 and so what i do is make sure he gets vitimans everyday and i let him tell me when he is hungry,all he eats is grapes,carrots,yogurt,salad,bananas,chicken nuggets,top ramen,juice,milk and regular and cranraisens,bread and ice cream,you may say wow that is lot but try giving him peanut butter and jelly sandwich and he looks at you like your some type of joke,i hate pj sands too tho lol,i think our kids will grow out of it im not worried as long as he get vitamins everyday.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:38 PM on Sep. 6, 2009