any good ideas to induce labor?

{first time mommy} does anyone know of some good labor inducing techniques? i am wanting to know bc in a week or so if my little girl hasnt come yet the doc is gonna induce me with meds. I really dont want to use them bc ive been told they increase the pain and make labor a bit more tramatic for the momma and baby.ive heard that sex normally does the trick,but that maynot be a option for me right now. does anyone have any other suggestions?

bamamommy2009

Asked by bamamommy2009 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Walking may help. I used to walk with my first son all over the place. I don't know if that helped with bringing on labor, but i know it helped me feel better. I don't know of any other methods that are safe though. Good luck. I hope the baby comes b4 you have to be induced.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:45 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I tried everything to make my daughter come out but she never did on her own. I did walking, sex , running up and down stairs. Nothing worked. I was induced with cervidil and then given pitocin. Before I got the epidural the pain was so awful. She was basically against my spine so all I had was back labor, which was awful. I don't know what it would be like without getting induced but yes, it was extremely painful. It was nice not having to worry about my water breaking out in public though :)
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 8:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• You definitely do have options, mama!  ;-)
    Are you healthy?   If so, there is no reason to induce.   You may decline the offer~  that is all it is.   If you & baby are showing signs of being fine then no reason to add unnecessary risks (which there are plenty w/unnecessary inductions).  

When are you due?

You can keep walking and have sex, anything else would not be "natural."

doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:54 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• They can't MAKE you have an induction. They can complain about your refusal and try to scare you, but you have the right to say NO. If you and the baby are fine then there is no need to induce. They can only make a suggestion, but the decision is yours and only yours. In fact, that word shouldn't even be brought up until your 42 week is entirely complete. And even then, the next step would be monitoring your health and the baby's health and if all looks good, there is still no need to induce.

As a matter of fact, if this is your first, it is very likely you can go to 41 weeks at least. Human gestation is a range 37-42 weeks the range, which is where they get that 40 week average (some people have to go earlier and some have to go later). 36 weeks is the rare lower gestation range and 43 weeks is the rare upper of the range.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:03 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I think the average for first-time moms is 41 weeks, 1 day.  ;-)

Studies have shown that with active management, 40% or more of first-time mothers will receive oxytocin. Telling nearly half of laboring first-time mothers their bodies are incapable of birthing a baby without help could have significant psychological consequences. (Goer)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:10 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• at 29 wks i had gone into preterm labor {so ive already received the steriod shots-and after that point i started to gain the weight}and they couldnt figure out why i had,thankGod we stopped it and ive been able to carry further,and honestly they didnt think i would even make it to 35 wks before shed come,so we went from worring that shell come to now we dont know if she will come...ive just wanted to see what i can do to help her out
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 12:56 AM on Sep. 7, 2009