Mini Handheld sewing machine...Do they work and can you use them to make lots of projects?

I just bought one at a yard sale. Thought it may be easier to se than a standard sewing machine. I don't knew how to use one. Saw a pattern for purses with a bamboo handle which may be neat to try. any other project suggestions, anybody!!!!

nan16

Asked by nan16 at 8:08 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• well my mother bought one at a garage sale too and its so noisy and well to me i would rather use a regular sewing machine
    rosepetalluv

Answer by rosepetalluv at 8:16 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My husband bought me one for Christmas last year (I wanted a sewing machine, and we don't have a lot of room in our house, so he got that). I have yet to figure out how to use it. The instructions are too damn small.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I've really only seen them used for straight seam stitching. I know I have one or two around the house here somewhere. People who don't use them give them to me. Maybe someday one will be a valuable oddity.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 9:30 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• i got one years ago, and it is NOT good for projects- unless you just want to sew a really basic curtain with no frills. it doesn't work very well with thicker fabric, so i would imagine it wouldn't do well with making a purse like you want. i think i broke the needle on mine twice. then when we finally got a house and room for my sewing table, i got a sewing machine. it's really not easier to use than a sewing machine because you can only use one hand to hold the fabric and the other is holding the little machine. you end up with crooked seams and such.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I think they're okay for like quick repairs, but you are better off with a small....but good home machine. Be careful, most of the cheap mini machines are just toys. I understand the space issue. I'm an avid sewer, and have no real place to keep things, but you won't be able to do much without a decent machine.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:25 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Had one, hated it. Just hemming pants was a fight and it kept jamming up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2009