Single parents do just as well as two parents?

What do you think of this article?

SATURDAY, Sept. 5 (HealthDay News) -- Family stability -- regardless of whether it's a one- or two-parent household -- may help a child succeed in school and life, a new study shows.

The findings, by an Ohio State University professor, challenge the conventional wisdom that two-parent households are always best for children. A single parent marrying or moving in with a partner may be as disruptive to a child as a divorce, the author suggests.

"Based on this study, we can't say for sure that marriage will be a good thing for the children of single mothers, particularly if that marriage is unhealthy and does not last," Claire Kamp Dush, an assistant professor of human development and family science at Ohio State, said in a university news release.

Cont....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Only in black families did Kamp Dush find a particular advantage in children always living with two parents as opposed to growing up with only one. Black children from stabled married families scored better on reading and math tests than those from single-parent families. Otherwise, regardless of race, the children of stable single-parent households did as well academically and behaviorally as their counterparts in married households.

"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Our results suggest that the key for many children is growing up in a stable household, where they don't go through divorce or other changes in the family, whether that is in a single-parent home or a married home," she said.

The findings appear in "Marriage and Family: Perspectives and Complexities," a recently published book that Kamp Dash co-edited. She looked at information gathered from nearly 5,000 households nationwide during two long-term periods over three decades. While many past studies show an advantage for children growing up in married households, Kamp Dush notes those did not distinguish between family structure and family stability.

Anonymous

• For example, in one breakdown of the data, Kamp Dush compared similar households where the only difference was whether the mother was single or married during the entire study and found little difference in how the children did in school or otherwise.

"My message to single moms is to think carefully before they decide to get married or live with a partner," she said. "Both romantic relationships and parenting are hard work. Unless you think that you and your partner can make it for the long haul, I think it would be better for single moms to avoid moving in with romantic partners. Family transitions are hard for kids."
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

• I agree. Sometimes it' s better to be a single parent than to live in a dysfunctional house hold. People like to make families out of the cookie cutter mold without realizing that it's not within every child's best interest to be in a two parent house hold. Families come in all shapes and sizes. It's about quality not quantity.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Wow. I think if the parent or parents have there shit together and provide for there children and there's lots of love and stability in the home it can have a good turn out with a single parent home or a married parent home or a mom and boyfriend home. Children need lots, lots of love and stability.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• is that why 75% of boys in juvi come from fatherless homes,its a bunch of bolony.both parents are very imporatant just ask a child with problems,mom is not more than dad and the other way too,ofcourse lets not be ignorant and stay in an abbusive home but truth is a child needs both.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 8:23 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I completely agree with what BUSYLOVINGHIM has to say. You took the words out of my mouth.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:29 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• single mom here- i am doing good with my son, but no way can they tell me that he (or i) wouldnt benifit from having a father figure in the house.
    crap....
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:41 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My mom was a single parent almost my whole life, she managed but it was very hard, and there are things I missed out on because we couldn't afford it. She is and was a very hard working woman and b/c she was single she couldn't file head of household, how crapy is that. We are very close and a stronger person b/c of how I was raised.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:00 PM on Sep. 6, 2009