bronciolitus

my 3.5 month old daughter has bronciolitus, i took her to the drs and he gave her a nebulizer and some albuteral, she is on treatments threw out the day, and its working, instead of her having weezing and congestion in her lungs its all coming out threw her nose, wich is good! but i cant seem to get it all out with the booger sucker, and she hates that thing! which im sure all if not most babys do, but is there somthing other then a booger sucker that can help with the mucus in her nose?..not quite sure

liltexchick

Asked by liltexchick at 8:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They have a cool thing on www.onestepahead.com thats suppose to be fast easy and work really good. Although thats not doing you much good right now I guess. I have also heard of saline nose drops but I dont know if you use that for young babies.
    n03z07l08

Answer by n03z07l08 at 8:33 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Don't over use the snot sucker. It can irritate the lining and cause her nasal passages to swell.

Use the snot sucker when you can see stuff. She's going to hate it, but until she can blow her nose....it sucks, but has to be done. (um...pun intended?) lol

Steam her in the shower to help loosen the stuff up, saline nasal drops at diaper changes (but you don't HAVE to suck afterward...you can leave it in there to help)

Be prepared for loose, mucous-y stools. It happens to my kids EVERY time. It's also the crap leaving her system.

Be prepared for a drop in appetite...some of that stuff is draining to her stomach (hence the stool issue)...filling her up a bit.

Go with her flow for eating and sleeping. Watch her as the doctor instructed you for difficulty breathing, giving breathing treatments, etc.

Bronchiolitis sucks, but it's not the worst that can happen....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:39 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• you won't get ALL of it out...the mucous membranes are constantly secreting mucous when they are sick...just let it run. Put a humidifier with some Vicks solution in it and it will loosen things up. also, what works for me is I give my daughter a Vapor/menthol bath 2 times a day and suck her nose while she's in the tub and you're right, babies don't like it. but she needs it. Just make sure you keep the BRONCHITIS under control...sorry, the mispellings were freakin me out...anyway, just keep doing what you're doing and make sure she's comfortable. good luck :) and yes, you can put a few saline drops in each nose before you suck...it's safe and Little Noses makes them. Walgreens or target.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:44 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Actually callismommie, bronchitis and bronchiolitis are two different things.

I agree witht he saline drops and not to be over agressive with the boogey sucker. Keep up her albuterol! Hope she is better soon!

asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 1:06 AM on Sep. 7, 2009