Should I follow my calling and become a midwife or continue to be a sahm?

I just found out that I have an agency that will pay my complete tuition, fuel costs back and forth to school, daycare, and all expenses related to education. I also was doing some research and found that our local college has a direct entry midwifery program which I have always wanted to do.

Here's the thing I was raised by a sahm and I think that by doing this I will be neglecting my kids. Haidyn just started kindergarten and Izzie is 2 1/2. I worry about leaving them with a sitter while I'm in school.

The program is 2 years long!! What do you think? What should I do?

mamadowns

Asked by mamadowns at 8:40 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• that sounds like a wonderful oppurtunity....but i do understand your dilemma. i am sure the kids will happily adjust with the right sitter and be proud of mommy too!!! good luck that really is almost too good to pass up!
    silly7

Answer by silly7 at 8:45 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Sounds like a good opportunity.

Have you considered, though...not only will the kids be with a sitter while you're in school, but if you go "on your own" you'll be on call at all times and have to leave suddenly. Do you have some one (or will you be able to have someone) who can immediately be there for the kids? (night time, the dad no brainer, but what about when he's working or has to leave for work?)

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but that was my first thought...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• If that is your wish to become a Midwife and you will get it paid for i say go for it!!! I am planning on going to Nursing school next Aug when 2 out of 3 of my boys are in school. It has been my passion since i graduated HS. I just never did it because i didn't have the confidence in myself. Go for your dream. I am a SAHM too so i understand how you feel, but you also need to do what you feel strongly about. I'm sure you will make the right choice for yourself and you children.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• omg, you can't pass this up! This sounds like your opportunity, go for it! Good Luck!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:55 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• if it were me,i would do it but i would have a family memeber watch my child at my home,
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I think that if you have the opportunity then go for it. It has always been my dream to go to nursing school. I have gotten myself to the point where I am only an acceptance letter away. I also want to be a SAHM, but I also want to support my family. Make the decision that will be best for your family. If it were me I would go for it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:01 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Why not do both?

http://www.theworkfromhomemom.com
    EboniSears

Answer by EboniSears at 9:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• getting an education is not neglecting your kids. Being a midwife isn't a full time job unless you want it to be. Have fun and kiss the babies you help bring into the world

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• My kids have actually benefited from my husband and I going to school. They have a better understanding of why it is important. We really are not gone from house that much and we are usually able to schedule our classes so that one of us is always home. We actually spent more time away from them when we worked. Also, by the time you are finished your little one will be close to school age and you do have to think about your future.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I feel the same way you do and I did decide to go to school. Go for it.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2009