i feel like a bad mother for doing this...

my dd has been fussy all day. shes tired, but not falling asleep. my house is a disaster and i need to clean it. i also have a SEVERLY sore back & she wants me to hold her allll day long i cannot put her down.....shes almost 7 months, i put her in her crib to get some cleaning done and shes still fussing.

does it make me bad for putting her in her crib to get some cleaning done and try and relax at the same time??

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, as long as you know that she she is not in pain, hungry, wet or anything like that, I would say go ahead. She might be teething or something, and then there is not really much you can do. Of course you shouldn't leave her there for hours to cry, but keep an eye on her and clean your house if you need to. I've been there and sometimes you just gotta put them down and take a breather.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:10 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• ugh i did it for like 10 min and couldnt help myself i had to get her :( lol shes eating a boob and hopefully she falls asleep poor girl i know she is exhausted shes just fighting it.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:12 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I am glad you went and got her. : ) She needs her mama for one reason or another even if it is just for comfort.  The mess will still be there when you get done.  No need to hurry to clean baby is much more important.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I think we've all been there. My daughter is now 8 months and doing much better with having to be held 24-7. Up until about 6-7 months, everytime I put her down she would cry. There were some days, I had to just walk away if I couldn't get her to stop crying. Even if it's for a short period of time, you need to do it to keep your sanity. So, no you're not a bad person/mom for needing a break. Good luck!
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Not at all. Some times we have to say " I can't carry you all day" and put them down and let them fuss. Even if it's so we can rest ourselves. As long as she's in a safe place, nothing to worry about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Dude chill if you fed her and she is clean You dont have to hold her ALL day. You could get one of those vibrating bouncy seats and she can watch you clean Bubba loved his. And puuting her down for awhile IS NOT the "cry it out method" If you live in MO. you can have my seat He out grew it :)
    tdmag

Answer by tdmag at 10:04 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Get a comfortable sling or wrap if you think you need to do housework (which shouldn't be a priority). An infant needs constant supervision and interaction. If you really need a break, ask someone else to care for her while you take one. It's not fair to her to be left alone in a crib when she wants her mother. She doesn't understand. There is more to parenting than just making sure they're fed, dry, and out of danger. A 7 month old should be trying to get mobile. Spend floor time together so she can practice while still playing with you and not killing your back. (I have serious back issues too.) Set her in a bouncy seat or swing near you and put on some music for you to dance to while you do the dishes or fold laundry. It'll keep her amused and you free to clean.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:29 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• A baby dose not need constant interaction!! Supervision..yes, but as long as you know that she is safe, clean, and fed then don't worry. How will a child ever learn to play by themselves if not taught at an early age. What are you going to do?... Hold her ever second and give her 100% attention until she's 5, when then all of a sudden she will be forced into a class room with a teacher that cant focus on each child and she has a hissy fit because she's not center of attention all of a sudden...or God forbid she ever gets a sibling with whom she must share mommy with...... The sooner children learn these lesson's, the less of a shock they will be....
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 10:48 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• A child gradually learns self play and independence on their own time. It's not something that should be forced on a helpless and immobile baby who really has no means of entertaining his/herself. Again, there's more to it then just keeping baby dry, fed, and out of danger. I gave my baby all the attention she ever needed or wanted and she chooses to be alone when she feels like it. This time is short. Don't waste it worrying about "independence" or listening to them cry. Enjoy it.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:35 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• No but heres the thing...if she's not feeling well (my daughter and I have both been sick ALL week), then she needs your comfort. My house is a disaster too, but I can't bring myself to just let her sit there and cry/fuss knowing that she doesn't feel good. It will pass, just give her the comfort and security that she needs from mommy right now. The messy house will be there tomorrow...and that saying of "if she's full, dry and safe, then she's ok...geez, when did it become ok to not comfort your baby when they need it?? My daughter is a YEAR old and I still comfort her when she needs it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:40 AM on Sep. 7, 2009