Does the courts favor the mother over the father in regards to child custody?

In your state is the mother usually granted full custody or joint custody? I'm not sure if its the right thing to do because many fathers are cut out of their childrens lives after divorce. Looking forwaed to answers....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Normally, yes. But it depends on the situation. The courts will deffidently go whith what ever is better for the child. IF both sides offer equal oppurtunities for the child in a loving and care for environment, then they usually tend to go toward the mother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• yes they do...that happened to my mom when she and my dad got a divorce when i was a yr old. he only got to see me every other weekend. after i was about 16 i chose when i wanted to go over there though, i don't think its fair in some cases, some fathers are way more fit to be parents than the mothers
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 9:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Was just reading the other day - Mothers are favored 67% of the time, Dads are favored 9% of the time - The remainder was split between "Other family member" and "Other non-family member". That's according to one of those "divorce books" from Barnes & Noble. Don't remember which.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• It truly depends on the situation, and even the state.. but yes- most of the time, the mothers are favored over the fathers, especially if they are the sole caregivers.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:24 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• In NC the mother's are def. favored more, the father's are left high and dry, and a lot of times the conclusion is based on the individual not all mother's are fit and really there isn't much fair play when it comes to this kind of stuff for anyone.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:24 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Depends--when I was in the military my husband fought for joint custody w/ him as the custodial parent and won because I was in stationed overseas. and he took his passport so I would not be able to take him back with me. Court deemed it in the best interests of the child that he stays stateside.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• From situations I've heard, they favor the mother. I wish fathers recieved more visitations though instead of once every two weeks. I find that totally unfair for the dads. But I guess it's all in what you agree to in your divorce decree.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• for the most part yes the mother always seems to get custody of the child. unless the mother did something majorally wrong then the custody goes to the father.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:37 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Yes.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:56 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I have seen so many cases where the men don't WANT custody.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Sep. 6, 2009