does this concern you for the coming school year?

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AFP) – Some 2,000 students at Washington State University have reported symptoms of swine flu, university officials said, in one of the largest reported outbreaks of the virus on a US college campus.

The west-coast school last week instituted a blog to help provide information to students about the sudden and dramatic spread of the A(H1N1) virus on campus just days into the new school term.

"We estimate that we have been in contact with about 2,000 students with influenza-like illness in the first 10 days of our fall semester," the latest online posting said.

"At this time of year, we would typically only see a handful of patients with influenza-like illness. Health care providers in the local community have also seen WSU students with influenza-like illness, but we have no way of knowing how many.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090906/hl_afp/healthfluusuniversity_20090906183917

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Not yet, I will wait to see what the outcome is (like if they are exhibiting more distressing symptoms - or any indication that the virus has changed).

I will probably be more aware of any symptom that my kids have though, just to make sure that we are taking every precaution we can. My son has already missed a couple of days for pink eye, so I am expecting some illnesses to run through the schools.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• i am so scared. im currently in college, just started last week. and my son is 3 months old. i have nightmares every night that me or my SO are going to get the swine flu and give it to my son. its driving me crazy.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:22 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• No, people are acting like this is the black plague or something.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:26 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Trying to spread the paranoia?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Not really.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I'm not that worried, probably because I live in Michigan and we're not close to the border. We have a lot of mexicans that work here in the summer, but they go home during our winter season. It still worries me, but not as much as some other people.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:36 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• We stated three weeks ago and have had quite a few students out for multiple days. My daughter is at a local community college and a bit worried. I just keep the Lysol, hand sanitizer and tissues handy.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 9:50 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• We are using the flu season to reteach good hand washing practices.

Our doc recommended not getting vaxed for swine flu.

I wouldn't say I am worried. I'd say I'm more likely to take the kids to the doc rather than let them wait things out a day or two.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• As long as there is not a widespread program to vaccinate everybody with this vaccine that is so un-tested and so suspicious that it has the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) sending out warnings to neurologists to watch for certain symptoms, then I am not worried.

Wash your hands & face, gargle when you arrive home ... eat well & don't get run down from too little sleep or indulging in toxins like alcohol.

Repeatedly they are saying that the deaths are coming from later complications in weakened patients.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Trying to spread the paranoia?

No, I actually wasn't that worried at all. Not vaccinating for it either (i think) and have stated that too...but saw this today and I can't help but be a little worried 

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:17 PM on Sep. 6, 2009