Quiverfull?

With all of the attention that the Duggar family is getting these days, I started to research exactly what type or sect of Christianity that this family follows. I found on Wikapedia that it is called "Quiverfull". I also found this statement:

"Quiverfull authors and adherents advocate for and seek to model a return to Biblical Patriarchy. Families are typically arranged with the mother as a homemaker under the authority of her husband with the children under the authority of both. Parents seek to largely shelter their children from aspects of culture they as parents deem adversarial to their type of conservative Christianity.

Additionally, Quiverfull families are strongly inclined toward homeschooling and homesteading in a rural area."

Ladies, I'd love to hear some opinions on this statement!

emnasmom

Asked by emnasmom at 9:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• I know everyone is making a huge deal about her being preggo again, but I can understand it from reading about their religion. I've researched this before, thinking they were mormon or baptist. More power to you, and their family, if they can do it without going broke or on public assistance. And they have a HUGE support team with family and friends.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• i dont like anything that shelters kids.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:29 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• They must be very isolated and fearful if they want to follow this so-called "Quiverful religious group" > It doesn't sound too good to me.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 12:20 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• That statement is somewhat true I guess....there is a tendency toward "sheltering" your kids. I am Quiverfull, I don't know about it being an organized thing...just a name that people use for it. I came from a family of 11. My parents "sheltered" me. The sheltered me from what they thought was indecent and wrong, and taught me so that when (at 18) I was considered an adult, they knew that they had taught me all that they thought was good and right, and now I could make my own decisions. I don't do EVERYTHING that my parents taught me, but I do appreciate the sheltering and the teachings that they left me with.
    I love the Duggars. I love that they aren't on public assistance, I love that all their children seem happy (I have met them in person too), they are as sweet in real life as they are on t.v. I think that's wonderful! :-)
    Obviously, Quiverfull isn't for everyone, but....it's what I like. To each his own:-)
    Morganne1231

Answer by Morganne1231 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Morganne1231 - Thanks for your input, that is very interesting!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 5:03 PM on Sep. 7, 2009