How can I get my 2 year old to sleep in a toddler bed

I am trying to get my daughter to sleep in a toddler bed but I cant seem to be able to get her to stay in it. I am 2 months pregnant with my second child and I need to have my daughter into a toddler bed by the time the baby is born so I can use the crib. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

liger1988

Asked by liger1988 at 9:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was in the same boat as you last year!

It was hard at first, it took her nearly 2 months to stay in that freakin bed. At first I did it like daycare did it. I mean, she was in daycare and they always got her down on a cot, why couldn't I? I patted her back, sometimes for an hour, the first few nights it worked, then she was up and peeking at me from the hallway. After that, I tried calming music, and it didn't work. So one day I just got really tough, I did the super nanny approach and just kept putting her back in bed. During the day, when I wasn't working anymore and she was home, I'd leave her in her room during her naptime and she'd either play quietly or pass out on her bed. I think it was her naps that finally got her used to it. Anyway, the key for me was just consistency and A LOT of patience. Good luck!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:31 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I heard a good idea from someone else that has stuck with me. Im going to use it myself when Im done trying to potty train. You put the toddler bed against the wall on one of the long sides. On the other long side, put the crib against it. So its a wall then the crib bars, the the foot and head board. So its more familar and more comfortable for them. Not such a drastic change. and as they get used to it, move the crib slowly away, night by night. Sooner or later, theyll sleep without it being there, good luck!
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 10:53 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• have you tried using a night light. I just got lucky i guess and moved chloe` from a baby bed to a twin bed with no problems. I like that she is able to get down by herself in the mornings and come knock on her door. She doesn't get out of bed at bedtime. I start with the same thing every night though. dinner, bath, brush teeth, she turns on night light with help, go to bed. I sneak in later and shut it off. She will even say bath after dinner. Like ok im ready for bath now.... It might help. I use a bumper so that she doesnt fall, but she can still get down on the end.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 11:32 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Either way, sounds like you're going to have to buy a new bed? Maybe she isn't ready for a toddler bed. Have you considered buying a 3-in-1 crib and letting her continue to sleep in her crib, and when she is ready, switch the new crib to a toddler bed and put the baby in her crib. Just a thought....I tend to believe kids do things when they're ready. Also, you don't want to force her to be bigger than she is, especially with a new baby around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Sep. 7, 2009