What carseat should I put my 3 yr old in?

Ok I am getting ready to buy my girls either an Apex65 or Nautilus but I dont know what I should do for my son. He is 3 yrs old 31 lbs 37 1/4" tall. He is currently in a FF convertable that seats up to either 35 or 40 lbs and 43". So what would be the best thing to get for him. I'm kinda on a budget b/c I will be buying 3 carseats all at the sametime and that can be expensive. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DarciMykell

Asked by DarciMykell at 9:27 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Get an Apex for him, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I would keep him in the seat that he is currently in if he still has room in it. Then as he gets closer to the 40lb mark then you can look for either a booster or another carseat.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:31 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I was wondering if i should get him a myride 65 though? he is in one of the cheap ones from walmart right now. The one he has is a different pattern but this is it http://www.walmart.com/Cosco-Scenera-Convertible-Car-Checkmate/ip/8054497
    DarciMykell

Answer by DarciMykell at 10:10 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• We have the Graco Nautilus for DS who is 3 1/2 and over 42" tall. In my opinion it is a great seat, easy to put together and install. He absolutely loves it. The harness goes up to 65lbs. He has plenty of growing room. I can easily transfer it to another vehicle if necessary. I believe it can be used as a high back booster until 100 lbs and then as a booster after that. I bought it last year for him from walmart for about $160.

Has anyone seen the new car seats that just came out with the side impact "air bags" built into the car seat to protect your child's head. The harness only goes up to 50 lbs and I think it costs like $250. I think I will stick to my Graco just because I can keep him in the harness longer.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Apex65. We have two of them and love them. My brother calls them the "cadillac of carseats". They are good seats and won't cost an arm and a leg.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• i would say keep him in the seat he is in and then when he gets closer to out growing it go with the Graco. With that you get a eh 5-point, high backbooster, and backless booster. Good luck :)
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 2:35 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I highly recommend going to check them out in the store. Babies R Us lets you try them out in the store, and you can also check the install in YOUR car. =) That being said, I have the Nautilus and I LOVE it. My kid is huge for his age, (closer to the size of a 4 or 5 year old than 2.5 like he is!) and he still has 2 slots to go harnessed. I tried out the Apex, and to me, it didn't seem as sturdy as the Nautilus, and was much wider. You can messange me if you want for pics, ect.
    Valerieeee

Answer by Valerieeee at 11:07 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Oh, sorry, forgot to add... the Scenera you have harnesses to 40 lbs. =) I tried my son in a Myride 65, and at 2.5 he is almost too tall for it!
    Valerieeee

Answer by Valerieeee at 11:09 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I would get him the Apex65 or Nautilus as well. Just be sure that you have adjustable headrests and/or high seat backs for each seat where the Apex will be installed. My 5yr. old uses this seat and it works really well for him. I did have to call and get a longer crotch strap for it, although that was a couple of years ago, so maybe the newer ones you won't need to worry about that.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2009