Labor question

i am scared of labor and was wondering how it really was. like how bad was the pain and everything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• every person's idea of how bad something is is different. so its really not a question anyone can answer for you. i was induced and the contractions were awful but not unbearable, the actual childbirth part i'm not sure b/c i had a c-section.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:46 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• All of my labors and pain levels were different with all 3 of my children. It must not have been that bad because i have 3 and am preg. again!!! I think my first was the worst because i had preeclampsia with him. My labor was 12hrs. but i only pushed for 28min. The pain was moderate until my water broke then it became worse. That is when i got an epidural. Then everything was fine!! I could still feel the birth, but i was not in pain. I just felt pressure. WIth my second and third, the contractions were not that bad. Just felt like menstral cramps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• For me, with my first, I was induced because I was overdue. So, from my experience, it felt just like a period cramp times one hundred. I have heard that being induced causes the contractions to be harder and therefore more painful, but who really knows? I know this may not help, but just think... women have been doing this for hundreds of years- it's what our bodies were built for. And it's just another part of being a woman, I mean, we put up with a lot of 'pain' in life and this is just a different (and VERY rewarding) kind!
    Good luck!
    mileymoo

Answer by mileymoo at 9:49 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I was induced and she was what they call "sunny side up" and OP. So, she was facing up and against my back. So all of my pain was in my back. Being induced can make your contractions more painful and it was but I don't know any other way. Once I got the epidural, I was fine until he stopped the pump when it was time for me to push. But everyone is different and I was so terrified but I survived. I also had an episotomy which took weeks to heal and, I think, that was the worst part of the experience. Just look at it this way, you're in hours of labor for a lifetime of happiness!
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• it wasn't 2 horrid till my water broke then the pain came but sat in the tub and that, and then got the EPI and all was great from there on out lol.. cept i still did feel a slight ring of fire when she crowned but overall was a great experience
    Lovebeingmomto1

Answer by Lovebeingmomto1 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Please stay calm. I was really scared too, I was thinking about my delivery my entire pregnancy and at the end it was not bad at all. I purchased a dvd-lamaze class and it helped us a lot. I was doing all the breathing and my husband was so supportive that I can see myself doing it all over again and I my babygirl is only 2 months old. I stayed home through all the contractions and made it to the hospital last minute.I got there at 8.20 and my baby was born 9.35. What was really helpful is a hot shower and I went for a long walk. You can't let the contractions overwhelm you. Once my water broke everything was so fast but I can tell you it is painful but I'm a real punk(that's what my husband calls me) but made it and he was actually really surprised how high my pain levelnis.I'm proud of myself. So please stay calm,you will do just great.
    Savannah2009

Answer by Savannah2009 at 10:00 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I'm prego with my 3rd and again I'm not having any pain meds. Birth is an amazing experience babe, you'll do fine. My pain level is pretty low so for me, labor is horrendous but you get through it. Just keep telling yourself that. You will get through it. The feelings afterwards are so strong that you will forget the pain. Everything else fades away and the only thing that matters is your baby. There isn't any reason to be scared of labor sweetie. Don't listen to anyones horror stories, either. When I was prego with my first women I didn't even know would come up to me and tell me all of their horrible experiences and how the pain was SO freaking intense. It is intense, but you'll get through it. Good luck babe!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 10:01 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Well, it was scary prior to birth and as it started. But later I was SOOO! angry at myself for "letting" myself feel afraid of ...nothing (that is scary).
    So it was the Fear Of The Unknown...
    Which is normal, understandable!
    But after that, boy! I really got my bootie into high gear. I started to really learn all that I could so there would be little "unknown" to fear~
    So my next delivery was AMAZING!! :-D So beautiful. Truly night-and-day because I had no fear (and VERY little pain).

(*It has made such an impact that I resolved to help women have better births, too. Started working as a birth doula asap, lol!)

What scares you?
    Discovering what it is that frightens you and learning how to either avoid it OR get through it
    will make an enormous difference.
    You will be incredibly confident when you discover you have nothing to fear.

This is the biggest day of your life~ ENJOY it!!!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:02 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I think this is very helpful:

Worry is the Work of Pregnancy

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:11 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• The worst part about the contractions was that it felt like all I had to do to feel better was unclench my stomach muscles, but it was completely involuntary. I guess that's where the relaxing and taking things in stride comes into play. The worst part about my labor experience was that it happened so fast; I went from no contractions at all, not even some little Braxton-Hicks, to contractions 2 minutes apart, in the space of an hour. If it hadn't happened so quickly (which it doesn't for most people), and I'd had a little time in between to get used to it and prepare myself for what was coming, it probably wouldn't have been too bad at all. Just go in with an open mind, don't expect everything to happen a certain way, and try not to be too rigid in how you want things to happen. It'll happen, and you'll deal with it, and you'll get over it, and you'll have a beautiful bundle of love to show for it that makes it all worth it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:43 PM on Sep. 6, 2009