Is it typical for a 6yo to be worried about what others think of him

My SS seems to be big on this. For example..he said he didn't want to sing in church because he was embarrassed because other people may hear him and laugh at him. He does this with other things as well. He may not want to do something because he can't do it as well as someone else. I've tried explaining to him that doing one's best and what's right is more important that what people think of you but not sure if that's going to work or not. How do I teach him not to worry about what other people think of you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is very normal. My neice's and nephew are the same way and they are about that age. I think it is just a stage that they will grow out of but they are very self consicous at that age... I have tried to let them know that no one cares what they are wearing or what they look like but it doesnt work!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• very nor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My son is the same way. He won't be in the children's choir at church because the music is too fast and he can't keep up with the motions to the songs.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 1:30 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Normal. Just try to reenforce his accomplishments. While social behaviour is important, not every kid is going to grow up wanting to be in the spotlight KWIM? So after trying different things like puppet shows at home, he is still timid and shy, I dont see a point in pushing. As long as he is comfortable interacting with his peers I dont see why every kid has to be a performer.. It might just be his personality and trying to change that might confuse him. Think about it, you would be telling him to feel comfortable in his skin, but his skin needs to be more outgoing? You know..?
    Goldie_And_Luke

Answer by Goldie_And_Luke at 9:28 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• My son is 9 and won't sing in church because he is embrassed but he will sing in the shower. What does he like to do? My son is a scout and loves it. He is able to do a little bit of everything and the boys are treated equally.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I think it is normal.  I would encourage him every chance you get to help build self-esteem.  Here are some good self-esteem confidence building books which you might find helpful to read together and then discuss http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=17 

momjs

Answer by momjs at 11:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Wow that sounds just like my son, he is 7 and is shy until he knows everyone then he is a clown.We just put him in karate he was scared at first and didnt want to do it , if it was up to him he wouldnt try nothing so we still did he did good the 1st day he loved the 2nd one he was lost and didnt know what 2 do and got upset and wanted to quit, we talked to the teachers they said he selfesteem was low so we are gonna try 2 build it up we will keep him in and see how things go.He was in choir too same problem so i took him out but they just need to be pushed alittle if they are really getting upset then try something new keep them in something
    IloveJesus316

Answer by IloveJesus316 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 8, 2009