What do you think about obese children's parents?

Do you think the parents of obese children should be charged with child abuse? If feeding your children to little is abuse do you think that feeding them way to much should be also? Considering the numerous health problems that accompany obesity.

This question would obviously exclude any parent of any child with a legitimate medical problem that would cause them to gain to much weight such as a thyroid problem.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Sep. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, and No. I was 220 when I got pregnant last year, and gave birth in February of this year weighing 240. I weighed 179 today. I'm changing my life for my kids. I took off 61lbs. in 6 months. I have three kids under three and I realize how much I truly do regret not showing them healthy eating habits sooner. I had to start with myself. So yes, I feel that I neglected them by not showing them proper eating and causing my son to get sent to the NICU (blood sugar issues and I had undiagnosed GD...I tested low on my GD test but my OB-GYN thinks it developed in the last week before birth which is why I packed on weight and my sugars were so high). I do think parents should be taught about nutrition prior to being discharged from the hospital/through out their pregnancy. Then again it's a whole thing of the government controlling us. So who knows. Makes it difficult to do!
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 11:44 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Well, I wouldn't say it's abuse. It's irresponsible, but as children get older they can feed themselves. A parent can't be there to control and limit everything the child eats.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• yes, i do think they should be charged with child abuse. give them one chance to put their kids on a diet and get them some exercise. i think its horrible that parents let their children get fat. such a horrible thing to do to your kids. not just for health reasons, but for emotional reasons also.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:59 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• If the child is on free breakfast/lunch at school is it still the parents' sole responsibility? I know someone who is taking her kids off free lunch program even though they qualify because they all gained weight after being on it last year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I think about the parents of overweight children the same way I think about the parents of non-overweight children: I don't judge. I don't know their situation, and even if I did, it's none of my business.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:05 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• It depends I guess. Sometimes it takes awhile to find out exactly (if the reason is medical) what is causing the child to gain so much weight. I had a girl friend awhile back whose son was severely obese and she'd lay around and whine about how she didn't know why he was so big. Of course that was while she was letting him eat entire pizzas and fast food all the time. I agree to an extent that it should be considered abuse but every person is diffrent and every parent parents diffrently. My cousin has 4 kids who are all obese! My sister came here (she doesn't live in our state) and cooked them dinner, steak and salad. The kids thought she was trying to feed them grass! But my cousin always complains about how big her kids are. I guess that irritates me more than anything. I say as long as the kids are healthy and happy then thats all that should matter so to each their own.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I think there should be an intervention if it's a prolonged problem and/or a BMI over a certain amt. I have a particular hated for parents who feed their kids garbage and then they wind up obese, with rotted teeth, misc health troubles, etc.

I think schools lunches are HOOOOOORIBLE... I know I'd gain a buttload if I ate them. And sure they serve a few healthy things (like a whole apple) but kids rarely eat them... same w/ a whole orange. They need to make food more appealing, accessible, seasoned in a healthful manner, etc.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I think that they are lazy and that some sort of intervention should be done. They should be eductaed in ways to make their children healthy and active. Parents control what their children eat and what their children do. If you buy junk that's what they will eaat. If you let them eat whenever and how much ever that they want they will. If you don't encourage them to get up and get outside they won't. It's THAT easy to solve 9 out of 10 times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• It's not my job to worry about it, I just look at our kids and be thankful that they are active healthy kids. It also reminds me why we don't eat fast food!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• It depends on the situation. My sister has 3 boys who all eat the same thing and get the same outside everyday time plus sports and one is overwieght, one is normal weight and the other is a bit underweight, people have different metabolism speeds. If it is a situation where the kid is getting McDonalds or some other crap every day then yeah the parents should be educated on nutrition and if nothing changes then charged with neglect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Sep. 6, 2009